1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital voice recorders ... I'm shopping

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pilot, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

My beloved Olympus DS-330 crapped out on me the other day after lasting a long time. I quickly ran out and bought a Sony B-310F, which I figured would do me just fine, but it's being a piece of crap and I think I'll need to return it.

Now that I'll have a little more time to actually look around rather than buy the first thing I see, does anyone have any advice? Has anyone looked into them very much recently?

I liked the Olympus, but I don't really care about brand. I'd rather not spend a ton of money, but want something that will tape a long time, hook to a computer (I'd like it, but not a must) and be easy to navigate through files with.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm telling you... Use your iPod...

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I use a Sony ICD-P320 and it's great. It has great sound clarity on the high quality setting and doesn't need to be stuck in the person's face. It has a shitload of memory too, even on the high setting. I haven't used it in a post-basketball game setting yet, but it worked great in the wind after a football game. And it's only $40. At least it was when I got it in late July.

4. moonlight

moonlight Member

I have the Olympus VN-240 PC. It comes with software to upload your sound files on to your hard drive. I like that feature because I can save everything, and if you work for an editor who wants you to keep your notes and stuff, this helps. The only downside is that it only records for about 90 minutes. Costs about $80.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i have an olympus ds-2. love, love, love it. download everything onto my computer.

6. awriter

awriter Active Member

If you can afford it, I highly recommend a Sony minidisc recorder. It's what the radio guys use. It's expensive, but it's money well spent.

7. happygirl

happygirl Member

Call me weird, but I frequently notice what recorders are being stuck in someone's face, and the Olympus brand is most prevalent. I've had a VN-480 that's worked perfectly for more than two years. It has amazing battery life and great range and sound quality. A colleague uses an Olympus that downloads files to his computer, as noted above, and he loves it.

8. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

The IPod downloads to your computer, too -- and has sound quality that crushes all of the digital recorders. And you'll never need batteries again.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You'll also never worry about running out of space... It also allows to you write off your iPod as a business expense...

10. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

That's a great idea, Mizzou. I've been using mine for years, but I've never used it as a writeoff.

11. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Where was this thread last week, when I followed The Boy into a Circuit City and picked up yet another tape recorder? (Yes, I did say tape!) The cheapest digital cost twice as much, and I briefly pondered buying it, but I figured I should wait and see the latest reviews.

Thanks! Now I can rethink my purchase and upgrade before the holiday chaos. I've got a whole "off-season" to figure out how the new toy works. ;D

Anyone tried a digital recorder with a Mac? Are they all cross-platform compatible?

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I just changed to a MacBook and the Sony recorder's software doesn't work on it in Mac mode. I haven't bothered trying to figure out Bootcamp or the other ways to run PC software on it, but I'm sure it's possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted