1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital TV switch delayed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jan 26, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Question for the masses: How many people do you know this will affect?

I can only think of one or two people who still have the rabbit ears.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Dammit! The switch was going to be on my 40th birthday. There goes the party theme.

Thanks, nation of morons!

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The towns of Upton and Sonora would have been totally shut off from civilization.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Good thing none of them live there ...

:D

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

actually, i'd bet there are millions of people still just getting broadcast signals.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The ad in question. Terrifying, indeed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

One of the Louisville stations just said they're planning on going through with the Feb. conversion (ir)regardless :))) of what Congress does.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

We are truly a nation of idiots.

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Lots of people in urban areas. To them, free TV > paying for it.

Down here, two hours (and the Allegheny Mountains) in any direction from the nearest over-the-air broadcast, we don't have that option.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Wait, what's happening to my TV?

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This is a BS, pandering move. Some stations already have shut down the analog transmitter and are transmitting a digital signal only. The costs for stations to keep their analog transmitters going -- many of them already being held together by duct tape, glue and Gummy worms, since stations weren't gonna plow money into soon-to-be obsolete technology -- will be relatively significant, given the economic woes. PBS said something about this costing $22 million for member stations. This will really hurt the few indy stations remaining, too.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And a lot of people have a second or third TV that's not on cable. They may have cable in the living room and bedroom, but the TV in the garage gets an over-the-air signal.

I know there has been some consideration in my market that the stations may just flip the switch anyway. Man, do I hope they do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted