1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital TV switch delayed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jan 26, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090127/tv_nm/us_dtv_congress

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Man, and I just got my coupons today to scalp too...

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Fucking ridiculous.

4. NDub

NDub Guest

Agreed. This has been known about for four years and the deadline has been pushed back a few times already.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

As someone who works in TV... what a joke.

We've been doing one public test after another, as mandated by the FCC. I have to run a special DTV reminder in every newscast. Our schedule got completely screwed up because of the February date, meaning the February sweeps period is now in March, meaning we can't take vacations in March, which is spring break for my kids (and Cactus League in my neck of the woods).

And now we need to change it because America isn't ready? America must be fucking stupid.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

So we wasted HOW many millions in tax dollars to advertise a deadline which no longer exists?

Jeebus.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

The more and more I think about this, the madder I get.

Make the fucking change. People will get the idea when their TV doesn't work. Just make the fucking change. You'll never get everybody, or close to everybody ready for something this large. It's going to affect people negatively. Get the fuck over it.

And really, when did it become a right to have broadcast TV? Motherfucker, this is so fucking stupid.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Un-freakin'-believable.

Make the switch already.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In other news we will be converting to the metric system March 1

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

as much as they've advertised it, just what do they think will happen during the delay to make people get it? just throw the damn switch.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

congress has averted what could have been a very scary situation. Calblevision was running a public service ad of what would happen to your tv without a digital signal - scary stuff.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

sonuvabitch!

This is one area I disagree with Obama. Make the switch already. If you watch TV (and therefore might need a converter box), you know this is coming.

Draft saved Draft deleted