1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital SLR cameras

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Trying to find one, looking for tips before purchasing.

I don't want to spend too much ($200-$250 range), so my options are limited.

I've been looking at a couple Fujis. One is the S5200. The other is the S700

Any suggetions, things to keep in mind, etc. from the resident camera experts?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'd go Sony. My first was a Kodak and it was fine. Next two have been Sonys and I loved them. You can get a good Sony in that range.

3. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Sorry, I have very little photography knowledge. Are you saying I can get a digital "SLR" for between 200 and 250 dollars. I know I can get a digital camera, a good one, for that. But I was not aware that I could get an SLR for that low a price.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Sony Digital SLRs for under $250? Not finding any through Froogle.com, though it may not be comprehensive.

Those Fujis I linked above.

To clarify, I think the two Fujis are SLR-like. They may not be "full-blown" SLR

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, shit, to be honest I don't know if mine is SLR or not. It's just a damn fine little camera that cost about 250.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The two cameras you linked to aren't SLR cameras. They are digicams with CCD sensors (which is why they have fixed lenses and optical zoom). You are not going to be able to find a Digital SLR for $250. The closest you might do is a used Canon 300D (their first consumer attempt at a digital SLR--it's a nice camera, but has been passed by others), which I'd guess you can get in the $300 to $400 range without any lenses--which can be costly for good lenses.

One feature of an SLR camera is that lenses will be interchangeable (unlike those cameras you are looking at), and Canon generally makes the best lenses (and has a lot of third-party options), although Nikon has its fans. If you look up and down sidelines at sporting events, 99 percent of them are shooting with Canon SLRs with Canon "L" glass lenses.

7. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Moddy,

I always thought that "SLR" meant the kind of camera with the bigger lenses on them. Like the Canon Eos. The kind where you could change lenses and stuff.

My funny little honey is interested in photography and with my daughter leaving for college, I was thinking I would give the kid, who wants a digital to take to school with her, mom's old camera (5 year old Kodak digital) and buy mom a nice camera so she could get started on her "empty nest" hobby. That way, when the child loses her camera, she hasn't lost a new one.

But if what you're saying is true, I could save some money with that plan as well, which could be put toward my empty nest hobby plans, sitting on the couch, drinking beer, and watching the big TV.

(edit...wel Ragu answered my questions before I could ask them...I should'a just waited. Thanks BR)

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Ultimately, that's the info I was looking for, I just couldn't articulate it.

What do you know about these CCDs?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure I stated that right, Big Buckin. CCD is just a type of digital sensor. An SLR can have a CCD sensor, although a lot of them don't anymore.

This may be more info than you want, but what distinguishes an SLR is that it has a "reflex mirror" (the r in slr) through which you view a live optical image on a ground-glass screen through the taking lens. The lens all have that glass mechanism and on an SLR you can remove and change the lenses. What you are looking at can more be characterized as a point-and-shoot or a digicam--you can always tell it by whether it has an LCD on which you can see the image you want to shoot instead of looking through a lens. Speaking generally, point and shoot cameras do their worst compared to an SLR on fast-moving images (I won't get into why).

I'd think the things to look at are the features in general. How big the sensor is (resolution; number of megapixels). How good the lens is. You are going to want more optical zoom, which is better than digital zoom (means the fixed lens on the camera is of better quality).

Take this with a grain of salt though. I am not a photography expert. I deal a lot with photographers, and have played a bit with SLR technology to teach myself, but I don't really know as much about point-and-shoot cameras as I do about the digital SLRs now.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

I think buying in the store is going to be a better option for me, rather than online.

Draft saved Draft deleted