1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital Recorder...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tjbball54, Dec 13, 2007.

1. tjbball54

tjbball54 New Member

My digital recorder died the other night during an interview and I went out to buy a new one. I decided to buy an attachment for my video ipod called Micromemo, but before opening it I wondered if anyone else has used this devise and how efficient is it? I will be using it for after game interviews with coaches and players, where there is alot of ambient noise sometimes, and wondered how the quality was for playback???

Does anyone have one of these? Can anyone help me out???

2. Haven't tried it, but I don't trust digital recorders to begin with. It's too easy to just erase everything you have on their.
    I'll take the old tape recorder any day.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

No offense, but that's crazy talk.

You're far more likely to have a tape unspool in the recorder and ruin your day than you are to erase everything you have on a digital.

4. tjbball54

tjbball54 New Member

I agree. I always have my freehand notes to back it up anyways, but much more easy to work with and store clips in different folders and stuff.

5. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

For me, a digital recorder is like the cell phone. Before I had one, I wondered what the big deal was. Now, I can't imagine how I lived without it.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I have the iPod attachment for recording and I love it. The playback is very clear and it's easy to archive the material right on it. There is a silent whirring sound at points of the interview, but that's because the attachment faintly picks up the sound of the hard drive. I have also used the iPod itself during an interview as a conversational piece, to open up a player a little more. Often times they ask what music is on there and it leads to another discussion.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I have a problem reading anything from "Rumpleforeskin."

8. But it's not like I haven't used one before. I used one for about a week when I was out just about every day doing one thing or another and I just didn't feel comfortable with it. More than anything, I was more concerned with it being in my pocket than anything else.

I just prefer the tapes. To each his own, I guess.

9. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i've never gone the ipod attachment route -- there's a guy on the beat who uses it and it seems bulky and cumbersome, but maybe that's just because he's a giant douche. also, i like being able to throw batteries in quickly if they run out (and i have rechargeables and they don't last too long, but they aren't too bad)

i have the olympus ds2 and would have babies with it if i could.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

If that's what you're worried about, just shut the recorder off and make sure it's enclosed in its carrying case. That's what I do. And I've had a digital recorder for four years now and I've never had it erase on me. There's been a time or two when I've forgotten to hit stop after doing an interview, which leads to a riveting hour or so of me walking and talking, but that could happen with anything.

Another plus with the digital: No more stacks of tapes. You can keep everything on your hard drive.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I've had two digital recorders and hated them both. Count me as one of the people who likes the old tape recorders.

12. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Like with many things, I've found that you get the recorder you pay for. I bought one for like $25 at Wal-Mart a few years ago. Total piece of shit. Bad sound quality, hard to fast forward and rewind, clunky. Dropped $50-60 on an Olympus and, I too, would have sex with it if that were possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted