1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital recorder recommendations

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flip Wilson, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I learned, also the hard way -- backstage after an NCAA tourney basketball game -- that if your phone rings while you're using the recording app, the recording stops. So now I put my phone on airplane mode before I do an interview.

JackReacher likes this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've had the same Olympus recorder since 2005. Thing's a damn workhorse.

3. I have an Olympus WS853 that I'm happy with

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Same here basically. Not sure how long I've used the same Olympus recorder. But last week, the trusty WS-510m went haywire, stopping recordings on its own and, in one case, not retaining it in the memory either (despite a fresh AAA). It flipped out of the digital folder even, requiring repeated re-starts. So the Olympus WS-853 I bought as backup/upgrade 10 months ago will finally get out of its box.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Savvy. That never crossed my mind. I’m not a smart man. Thanks.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

When I need one (I’m not full-time in journalism anymore), I have a Sony that works well enough and has a retractable USB plug to pull audio files into my Mac.

7. Every recorder I've ever had that's had has a retractable USB has had that function eventually break.

8. awriter

awriter Active Member

I have one of these. It’s pricey, but worth it. The Bluetooth is great for press conference/podium situations. I can place the recorder at the podium and control it from my phone.

Support for ICD-SX2000 | Sony USA

Draft saved Draft deleted