1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital Recorder quirk (?)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Feb 8, 2007.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

On a recent thread some SJer was bemoaning the fact he had accidentally erased all his recordings on his digital.
    At a bowl game, I had the same thing happen. The 3 files all went to zero when I was on the sidelines late trying to clear recording space and screwed up. I lost one interview I needed, no big deal.
    I went back to recording stuff and had everything in File A.
    This week, I noticed there was stuff in all three files. I started going through 'em and realized ALL THE OLD STUFF WAS THERE.
    Anybody ever heard of this or had this happening?
    Anyone have a technical explanation?
    Am I delusional?
    I am dead solid certain that at the bowl game I had wiped the thing clear because it was flashing "Erase All" and I panicked and hit the wrong button.

2. PressBoxJunky

PressBoxJunky New Member

I've had that happen with a Sony and an Olympus. It would happen regularly. Honestly, I threw them both in a drawer and went back to my old-fashioned mini-cassette and my MiniDisc recorder from my dark days in radio. The latter actually comes in handy, with Web sites moving more and more towards integrated Audio/Video...

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I know some people don't know they can have different folders on the digital. So, when they think they've erased something vital, they've actually just switched folders.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Yes, I've given myself a couple of heart attacks by doing that, thinking I'd accidentally erased all my interviews.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

you and me both. the crazy thing is, if I bothered to read the instruction book, I wouldn't have the heartache.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

They come with instructions? :D

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Yeah, I'm (and was) aware of the folders. In my case, after the accidental erase all, I had erased all; ALL the folders were empty.
    What I'm trying to figure out is how the hell the stuff got restored. Any thoughts? ... Bueller?

Draft saved Draft deleted