1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital First pursuing Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Jan 13, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

At this point, the only way Gannett turns a profit on declining revenues is to cut well ahead of the decline. You anticipate a decline in revenue of 10 percent, you better cut expenses 16 percent if you want to keep shareholders happy.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the the Monterrey Herald offers home delivery inside the City of Salinas? Salinas has a population of about 156,000. I was surprised the paper in a city this size would have a circulation of less than 5,000, especially since subscriptions seem to be $12 a month. That would mean that the paper circulates to less than 10% of the homes in Salinas. Is the small circulation due to a competitive market or just that people do not want to subscribe to the paper. I know a lot of big city dailies are circulating in less than 10% of homes in the market but I thought smaller papers were doing better.

Because if small papers are seeing circulation drop below 10% then any daily in a market smaller than Salinas must be getting close to becoming a weekly. But perhaps Salinas is just a competitive market.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The old person goes . . . he's finished. The young person goes . . . he starts his second career, doing whatever. And the earlier the better, frankly.

With only one exception (in 2007, when my shop's first buyout offer was a year's salary), there has been zero difference in the "buyout" and the "severance" at the places I've worked (at least among the buyout figures made public to everyone). So there was never a risk by not taking the buyout.

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The first offer at The News and Free Press was one year’s pay and benefits
    By the time I took it 11 years later, it was 26 weeks and no benefits
    I was able to take it because of the retiree health benefits the Guild negotiated

5. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

There’s a heavy buzz this week that a re-alignment of some sort is about to hit Gannett's NJ dailies.

6. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Hearing of layoffs this morning at at least one Gannett location.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm talking about buyouts/layoffs at the same time, though. It's not Let's Make a Deal, where you're "risking" missing out on some big buyout (Door No. 1) if you don't take it and get laid off instead (Door No. 2).

8. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

That's the way Gannett typically presents it, though, and it is almost never at the same time

They present the buyout offers first, with the ominous warning that if enough people don't take the buyout, there is the possibility of layoffs down the line, at which point the "generous" severance package will be off the table.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

When I left 4-1/2 years ago, the choice was to take a buyout with 20 weeks of pay or risk a layoff with 6 weeks of pay. It was really no choice at all.
    We were told the company would not contest unemployment claims. They lied. I told a judge the company said they would not contest unemployment. He said, "Well, they did."
    I had to do a phone interview and was denied. I had to appeal and appear before a judge and was denied. Finally, there was a written appeal, which was accepted. The person who wrote the decision really understood the situation. The fucking judge did not.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Tim's a great voice in Indy. One of the other layoffs at the Star today is a neighbor and good friend. Fuck it all.

12. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

Two layoffs and two columns axed.

Draft saved Draft deleted