1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital First pursuing Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Jan 13, 2019.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Already done in Tennessee, New Jersey, and Wisconsin... probably everywhere Gannett has a critical mass of papers.

cake in the rain likes this.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Well at least Digital First might put Gannett's epically bad website and mobile experience front-and-center, since, you know, they are digital first.

For the life of me I can't figure out why G's digital team can't manage to fix their browser viewing experience.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I've thought the same for years. It's just plain stupid.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

At one time DFI was going to be a digital first company. They had a guy named John Paton as CEO and he was going to conquer the digital world. When that did not work out DFI adopted the blood sucking strategy. I think the most chilling part of the DFI takeover is that they have already asked the Gannett board to stop digital investments.

5. LanceyHoward

Is Gannett down to only one sports reporter in towns without pro teams or Division One schools in their smaller papers in those states?

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's absolutely the case in central Pennsylvania, Lancey, where we have 4-5 of those affiliates. My old hometown paper, where they had a 5-person full-time staff and 4 good part-timers at one point, now has no sports editor and one reporter who writes roughly one local sports story every two weeks. The area's only source for local prep sports is a startup website by the former sports editor.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I know of a least one newspaper where there IS a Division I team and there is only one sports reporter.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The smartass in me thought "what digital investments?" As others have said, the viewing experience leaves a helluva lot to be desired.

9. FileNotFound

10. LanceyHoward

My point was not to defend Gannett, which is inept. But if a media company is not going to at least try to invest in digital then it is only a matter of a few years until the doors will be closed. I don't see DFI putting much money into improving websites.

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I remember how Gannett railed against jumps because, to quote loyal Gannett soldier and editor Stu Shinkse, "readers hate them."

As a reader, there's little I hate more than having to jump over links, ads and other obstacles reading a story on their digital platform.

12. FileNotFound

Print readers do hate jumps. Still. But your point is very well-taken. Between that and the calls-to-action to subscribe, the news industry's user experience is generally awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted