1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital First pursuing Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Jan 13, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

PROXY FIGHT!

2. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

In a proxy war, we are the collateral damage. An expensive takeover means massive cost cutting after the deal is done. Sigh...

3. DanOregon

This "battle" makes me think of the Russian army in WWII when they didn't have enough guns for their troops so they just had soldiers run behind those that did and then have them pick them up once those soldiers got shot.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

And the defense against the takeover is normally to promise to cut costs. I am not for sure who will win the proxy war but worker bees get exterminated either way.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There but for the grace of God go I and all that, but ... oof.
    For the Clarion-Ledger, this is an unforgivable mistake. Where is the CL designed these days?

[​IMG]

7. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

This is a guess but I think Nashville. Even then it’s gotta go through local hands I gotta believe. There’s no good excuse. None.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. DanOregon

Between the byline and the first graph. It really looks bad when something like that shows up in a local paper. It's not like it was a deadline deal either. Don't people check things?

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I saw the pic and thought “what did my old paper do,” before realizing that 100 newspapers look exactly like that now.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. The CL is designed in Nashville and, I believe, doesn’t have a sports editor currently. The only desk guy departed a while ago and I don’t know if they replaced him. I’m not sure if someone local read over the paper, though I would like to believe someone did.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I thought the Nashville Design Studio was "consolidated" into oblivion a year or two back, with the duties there shifting to other design studios? Thinking the CL is now done in Phoenix, but wouldn't swear to it.

As far as someone local looking over the pages before they are sent, it wouldn't surprise me if that isn't the case. From what I understand, the notion of having a local "producer" on site looking at pages before they go to press is the next luxury Gannett is doing away with.

Our local site, for example, has one local producer remaining to work at night, and when they are off or on vacation, there is literally no one on site in the evenings, and the Design Studio people just plow through the material available to them and send pages without any local oversight.

Surprised things like this don't happen more often.

12. That could be the case. When I was there, it was Nashville.

Draft saved Draft deleted