1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital First pursuing Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Jan 13, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

3. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

I think either way, The Trentonian closes. A sub 10,000 tabloid with no national ads is odd man out in either merger scenario. DFM owns the Trentonian building and property and those assets might have some value.

4. LanceyHoward

I agree. And if the companies merge I think the Detroit News will get closed. I think the Gannett California papers get merged into the DFI California clusters and I think the Fort Collins Coloradan and the Loveland paper, which are in neighboring communities, are merged in every way except the masthead.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Northern Colorado will lose - again. The Coloradoan was designed like crap and writing - with a couple of notable positive exceptions - left far too much to be desired.

Loveland was really well designed for a spell, though the writing there was, to put it charitably, bad.

But at least they competed, and that gave the folks in Larimer County some semblance of a viable option. Now that is gone.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Thankfully that crappy sports editor jumped ship in March 2017 and stopped dragging down the writing. :)

The competitiveness of the weird media situation at CSU, with Fort Collins and Loveland (and for a while The Denver Post) working it as a daily beat really made it fun to cover.

Tweener likes this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I think it was before your era, Matt. Kelly was and is exceptional ... they were fortunate to have him the way Tony and some others were treated by corporate, most of them getting unceremoniously dumped by an ignorant company with horrendous management (which is a big reason I was not in the biz during my time except to work a little freelance).

But the design was garbage ... not sure how much of that was big G and how much of that was management at the time ... or if it was just a poor desk.

8. LanceyHoward

I think the days of seeing two independent newspapers in the same county are coming to an end. In fact, I think the day of stand alone, independent newspapers is ending. In the good old days if you could hit a geographic niche by providing local news in a market you could become quite wealthy.

But the classified ads disappeared. And staffs have been slashed so much that papers are carrying very limited locally produced stories. Economics will drive these papers into regional clusters or they will die.

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I'm just teasing. Design when I was in college was horrible (Quark, baby!), but they did do a serious redesign in 2012 when Josh Awtry came in to turn the paper around (and did a good job, IMO). It didn't take long for the nice new look to get redesigned into a less fancy, more templated design for the studio, and then another more templated and now all the papers look the same.

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

They are down to what, 19 total people in the newsroom? I remember when they had at least eight on the sports desk alone and would actually use part-timers as well, which possibly included myself. All those aforementioned were there then too. It doesn't even seem that long ago. The design, well, um, that was during the Gannett no jump days so there was that.

Talking about fun covering CSU, I can remember when pretty much every Front Range paper covered CSU fairly completely. Both Denver papers had dedicated CSU beat writers. Even Colorado Springs was at all home football and basketball games and would even travel for important games, for yes, CSU! The Camera would be there for bigger things. Again, doesn't seem that long ago. Amazing how times have changed.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Probably longer than you think. Uncle Dean killed off the Rocky 10 years ago(!!!) next month. And things were obviously sliding before that. Probably closer to 15-20 years ago.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Well it was. I do remember the actual time even if I don't want to! It just doesn't seem like that long ago.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted