1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital First pursuing Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Jan 13, 2019.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I wouldn't wish Digital First on my worst enemy.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

That would be monumentally bad for the industry on every level. It looks like a serious offer: $12 per share, according to the WSJ story. GCI closed at $9.75 Friday.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Sounds like some really good money is horny for some really bad money.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Gannett may as well do it - all they're doing now is cutting to remain profitable. I don't understand the point of the endeavor anymore.

6. Writer

Writer Member

Gannett is the worst. They've ruined so many great publications.

7. DanOregon

Maybe the recent buyouts were the G trying to make itself more attractive. I'm guessing the only value you could squeeze that the G hasn't is middle managers.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

My concern is by the time Digital First gets done, we'll almost think of Gannett as the good ol' days. Almost.

Been part of a takeover in which a shaky company was bought by a company that made us long for yesterdays. The grass is not always greener ... even when you think you're stranded in the middle of the desert.

FileNotFound and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  9. DanOregon

See also Republicans No Longer In Office.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Digital First is a very well-managed liquidator. Gannett is an ineptly run publisher. I would prefer Gannett because they are trying to keep their newspapers alive. DFI is just trying to squeeze out the last drop of blood.

cake in the rain likes this.
  11. DanOregon

I am curious for those still in Gannett. Is it better or worse since they spun off newspapers to their own thing?

12. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

I can't think of a more fitting punishment for Gannett than getting bought out by DFM. Two peas in a pod like you read about.

Draft saved Draft deleted