1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital First Media laying off at least 24 journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alanpagerules, Mar 20, 2014.

1. lapdog

lapdog Member

Depends what state you're in. In many states (guess which ones!!!!) TPTB seem strangely uninterested in investigating any sort of hourly pay disputes between employers and workers.

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, it is kind of hard to anticipate a guy walking into a store, blowing away one employee, kidnapping the other, blowing her away and dumping her body.

There were four community papers being produced out of the office at the time (now three), and I was just one of two full-timers producing one of them, which covered two cities with a combined population of 150,000 (ours was twice weekly) - and the other full-timer was on vacation that week.

Looking at the bigger picture, who the heck else was going to cover these meetings, events, etc.? Adding insult to injury was the dipshits in charge laying off both of our full-time photographers. So, I was handed a camera and told to shoot my own stories. At least I wasn't pressured to do video and Tweet and all that other related stuff that the other reporters were required to do. A fellow reporter thankfully set up an "auto-Tweet" account for me, and the only videos I did were standups outside courthouses, teasing the stories I was about to write.

My editor said I shouldn't be working more than 40, but how the hell else were we going to produce a quality paper? Like was said above, if I agitate for OT, I'm in trouble. If I don't work my ass off, I'm in trouble - why didn't I cover this, that and the next thing?

And, yes, I was scared of being laid off. I had 25 years in, and was making more than the other reporters because of that. I knew I was in the next batch of layoffs. I was fortunate to land another gig and turn in my two weeks. Many co-workers, who also were my friends, weren't so fortunate.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That was a nice bit of performance art.

That being said, there were some people with the company several years, who had families (small kids) and didn't get a raise in years, so if I could help out in some small way, I was going to help out in some small way.

I know that makes me the bean counter's devil but I'll wear that crown of thorns, I mean those horns.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jim Brady exit interview.

http://streetfightmag.com/2014/04/24/jim-brady-on-thunderdome-the-glue-at-the-core-was-never-able-to-dry/

What sucks is how many livelihoods were f'd because they bought into the idea and the hype and left their positions and moved to NYC. Jim, who I like, will go wherever he wants when he wants because 19 years as an innovator in digital journalism dictates he'll always have shine.

But the 14 out of 52 stat he cited (Thunderdomers who have landed gigs) is a sad number.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Read today the hiring number is up to 53%: http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/media/2014/05/8545519/beyond-thunderdome

Draft saved Draft deleted