1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital First Media laying off at least 24 journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alanpagerules, Mar 20, 2014.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Digital First EIC gone...

https://twitter.com/jimbradysp/status/451400891523141633

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Uncle John waxes:

http://jxpaton.wordpress.com/2014/04/02/moving-on-from-thunderdome/

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How the hell can he not title that post "Beyond Thunderdome"?

What a yutz.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

First. I give him credit in actually announcing the initiative is ending, unlike Gannett, which would make a huge ballyhooed to-do over it, and then six months later, it would be forgotten about by everyone.

Second, I wonder what already-thought of seven years ago idea with a stupid nickname they'll throw at the wall next.

5. lapdog

lapdog Member

Which they yammered about for several months in advance, forcing members of already short-staffed departments to spend hours of shift time to learn completely new software programs, then used for ONE PUBLICATION DATE, then dropped like a hot potato, never to be used again.

All, of course, as a negotiating ploy to bluff down all their software vendors whose contracts were running out, with the premise "we don't need your stinkin Photoshop or InDesign, we can get the paper out (and the website up) using free crapware programs off Teh Internetz!!"

Shockingly enough, it turned out the free shitware on teh internetz didn't really work all that good. What a surprise.

All the staff hours used to learn the programs to put out one issue of the paper? Suck it up!! All your hard work will be remembered at contract time (When We Lay You Off!!).

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My wife and I both worked (elsewhere) with one of the significant figures in Project Thunderdome - not Tina Turner. It's a great puzzle to us both that this person is highly regarded at all, based on the work performance we observed.

Old media or new, some people can thrive for a while because they look good in a suit.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

A crack in the Thunderdome. Why am I not surprised.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Eight cut in Salt Lake City, print products (including the Faith section) by orders from the New York owners to cut the budget 10 percent as the for sale signs get ready to be planted.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57803274-78/tribune-faith-orme-digital.html.csp

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Eliminating the Faith section in Salt Lake City, Utah, is bound to attract more readers.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I wonder how long the Tribune has left. At one time I think that paper was quite profitable. But it is in a two paper market and I don't think the L.D.S would close the Deseret News. It is hard to compete with someone with a lot deeper pockets.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One of the Thunderdome's goodbye pictures. Not one black person.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. lapdog

lapdog Member

Big shocker. I worked 15 years for a group of JRC papers, which started out with about 100, and currently has about 30, editorial employees.

In those 15 years they had a total of three black employees (two of whom left shortly after JRC took over). A complete coincidence I am sure.

Incidentally, I would observe it must have taken a lot of self-control for the people in the Thunderdome pictures not to flip off or moon the cameras en masse. Here's to you, John Paton: (_o_)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted