1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital Editor -- The Lawrence (Kans.) Journal World,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Jul 12, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

The World Company, a fast-paced, multi-media organization in Lawrence, Kansas, is looking for a Digital Editor to facilitate the use of social media applications and methods to support and increase user engagement. Editor will:

On a daily basis, look at a story and, in collaboration with other editors and reporters, provide ideas for how that story can best be approached on digital platforms, to include online, on mobile and via social media.
    Respond to and monitor breaking news.
    Build and manage respective communities on LJWorld.com and related sites, including monitoring and moderating comments.
    Monitor social media avenues to include both broadcasting of major headlines and news as well as encourage interaction among fans and followers.
    Train staff on digital tools as needed.
    Monitor and ensure the quality and quantity of video content.
    Prioritize and arrange online content to boost traffic and audience engagement while monitoring long-term traffic trends.
    Act as a primary contact for staff or users having trouble using or navigating LJWorld.com and other related websites.

The World Company's online operations are considered to be among the most innovative news and media organizations in the country. Among them are LJWorld.com, Lawrencemarketplace.com, KUsports.com, Lawrence.com, WellCommons.com and SteamboatPilot.com. We are a family owned business that has been a news and media source for over 100 years. Company holdings include newspapers, magazines, commercial printing, consulting, and software development.

Historical Lawrence, Kansas, is located 45 minutes from Kansas City, MO, has a nationally recognized arts scene, a vibrant downtown and is home to the University of Kansas with its long-standing basketball tradition.

Ideal candidates should have atrack record ofbeing comfortable thinking on his or her feet, solving problems and identifying and adapting to emerging digital trends; working with those who have both more and less news experience; excellent writing and copy editing skills in a fast-paced Web environment and have strong news judgment.Must be available to work evenings as weekends as needed.

To apply submit a cover letter, resume and a link to your portfolio to hrapplications@ljworld.com. We offer an excellent benefits package including health insurance, 401k, paid time off, employee discounts and more! Background check, preemployment drug screen and physical lift assessment required. EOE

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1268926

2. cthib

cthib New Member

I just graduated from the University of Kansas in Lawrence and I have spent a lot of time covering KU sports alongside The Lawrence Journal World.

For a college town, Lawrence is as vibrant as I have ever seen. For a community paper, the LJW is as professional as I have ever seen. The newsroom is gorgeous and everyone there is a delight to work with. If you have any questions on the area, feel free to DM me. They have a stranglehold on Lawrence, so this is a great gig.

3. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

"Physical lift assessment required."

Nice.

4. WTFünke

WTFünke Member

Yeah ... what does that entail exactly?

5. JPsT

JPsT Member

15 reps of 150 and Turner Gill will sign you up.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Unless you curse or like to spend time with females after sundown.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

If I wasn't happy with my current job, I'd be all over this.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think you have to lift more than dkphxf and spend more than 20 minutes preparing a clips package to get this.

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I heard dk was a body builder. Dang. Count me out.

Draft saved Draft deleted