1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital Edition in Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I love e-editions.

Maybe it's just the way my mind works, but there isn't a website out there that I can read and get the most out of like I do with a paper. That's why I like these e-editions. I feel like I don't miss anything.

With websites, I get confused by all the links and ads and blinking lights.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

But as long as newsprint is still being used, it is moronic that the people editing and designing the thing can't get a copy fresh off the press.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's easier to read than a website because it has everything that's in the paper and only what's in the paper and it's organized exactly how the paper is organized.

So if you love to read the horoscope every day, you know it's there on page E4 or whatever, instead of trying to click, click, click and find it somewhere on the paper's webiste.

Also, most are a lot better than glorified pdfs because you can read the whole page or click on a story and read it in bigger type on the side.

Plus -- no reader comments to ruin your day!

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The Missourian was state-of-the-art with its E-edition. I was getting alerts on new ones for awhile, just because the product was so impressive, I wanted to see it.

Yeah, the clickability made it much, much more user-friendly than pure page PDFs.

I look at the Missourian Web site today, and I don't see any indication that it still exists.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You're right there. It is bad/wrong/stupid for the print edition, of course. But then, what else is new lately?

The print edition, sadly and unfortunately, is no longer really the priority. People are still saying it is, and financially, it is, of course. But the problem is, newspapers' powers that be and newspapers' readers -- two groups both more relevant than, say, me, in this instance, are not treating it as such.

And this, of course, is the core issue we're facing and fighting these days.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I have said recently that some nights, I feel more like I'm working for an electronic entity than for a print entity.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

One thing that could be great about the E-edition is that, because it is, virtually, the newspaper, I think it will, or could, anyway, soon prove to be that critical bridge we're looking for between print advertising sales and digital/internet advertising.

The technology/format that ads are seen in is different, of course. But it seems to me that the actual advertising sales offer that papers could make would translate and otherwise be practically the same as it is now, with no need for there to be only banner ads, pop-up ads, or flashes and such.

Instead the look and layout of the ads could be exactly as they are in the hard-copy, and theoretically, you should even be able to have more pages of them, because of lower costs.

Or, for extra fees, ads could even jazzed up electronically, perhaps with parts that DO pop up (not too obtrusively, but a little bit, sorta like using a bigger point size on something within an ad), or, perhaps they could even have a sound component to them...

I'm just thinking off the top of my head here, and don't know exactly what it would really take to do such things.

But regardless, the basics of traditional advertising and advertising formats are there, in an electronic format, and that's a good thing.

Isn't it?

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Start putting pop-ups and such in an e-edition, and you'll ensure I don't read that e-edition. Neither will a lot of other people.

On another topic, has anyone looked at what the increasing prevalence of ad-blocking software is going to mean to efforts to make money from advertising on the Web?

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The perception is damaging, but the reality is that no method of advertising ensures people pay attention. My wife is a crazy woman with the mute button when we watch TV. I don't really mind the commercials and sometimes find them entertaining, but she zaps them. I tend not to look at ads in newspapers or mags, except clothing and even then it's curiousity because I am not looking to change styles.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

No one at your shop has told you that yet?

If not, they will.

No need to dispute them, either, or you'll be labeled a dinosaur and looked upon as "not a team player."

11. The Commish

The Commish Guest

The papers are available in the Strib newsroom again. The paper boxes aren't often filled, but I still don't think we're wasting newsprint (i.e., fewer papers are going out than when the diktat went out.)

Not quite sure Moyer is to blame. It came more with the venture capitalists who bought the paper from McClatchy.

The bad part about the electronic edition is that it could never fulfill the need for why I need the paper in the newsroom: Ten minutes before deadline, and I need to check: Didn't we run this story/angle/headline/photo recently? When it took 2-3 minutes to load each page, it's worthless.

And when the library staff needs more than a day to get the articles transferred into the electronic library, the paper is critical. It also is when the Web site's search function has so manyholes in it that people who wrote/edited the article know it was in the paper and can't find it online.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's possible. But anything short of the editor-in-chief, and I promise to laugh at the person trying to sell me on that.

Draft saved Draft deleted