1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital cameras

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hurricane, May 20, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ms. Slappy bought a good pentax a few months ago and other than a battery issue, it's held up fine...
    She also bought a 2Gig sd card at Costco (Secure Digital Ultra II) for 29.99....it's 43.99 at Tiger Direct

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Have this one and I LOVE IT. Only downside is it eats batteries quick. Everyone keeps telling me to get rechargeable batteries, and after going through a 10-pack in the past 2 months, I think that's what I'm gonna have to do.

[​IMG]

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I got a Canon point and shoot for around $300 at Costco. Easy to use. Not great for action shots but really good shots.

4. Scrantonocity

Scrantonocity New Member

I've bought two Sony Cybershot digitals and have loved them both. Easy to use and take great pics, plus they're relatively cheap (last one was a floor model at BrandsMart).

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I got a Casio Exilim, though I don't know what model. bought it about a year and a half ago, it's a 6 mp and it's great. Comes with a little cradle to recharge on.

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I've switched over to rechargeables, definitely the way to go. Even switching to them for my remote controls.

Oh, and I've got the Powershot 610. Wonderful camera. Slow lag-time makes for a tough time shooting action, but if that's what you're buying a camera for you really should be getting a digital SLR.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I buy those high priced batteries for digitals and they last forever.

8. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Can anyone suggest a digital camera that would make a good graduation gift? That is, a camera that continues to work pretty well although it may not be treated all that well.

9. For taking "snapshots," you can't beat the Canon Digital Elphs. They are small enough to fit in the pocket of your jeans, which means you can take it with you everywhere (and will get the most use), good lens, good battery charge, and a lot of creative flexibility. So long as you don't expect to blow your pictures up beyond 8x10, or don't want to try to catch high speed action or low light outdoor shots without a flash, it will do most anything you need. The SD800 IS has 7 megapixels, a 28mm wide angle, and image stabilization to boot, for about $300. I have an older model and have taken it all over the world without so much as a hiccup.

If you want to take wildlife pictures, or sports shots, then you'd likely need to step up to a dSLR.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I have a Canon Digital Rebel which is great. It's pretty much a high-end amateur camera, a notch below the stuff the pros will use. Got a great deal for it on Ebay back in 2004. Paid $800 for the camera/lens combo, and it came with a 512MB memory card, Photoshop and a couple other smaller accessories -- all brand new. Body alone cost $800 at Best Buy at the time.

I like the digital SLRs because I take a lot of nature and sports photos and I can upgrade lenses, etc., with it. I wouldn't mind getting a little point-and-shoot for certain things, like bars, ballgames or day trips with friends.

11. I had a Sony Cybershot 7.2 megapixel for two years and loved it. Then it got lost/stolen. We recently replaced it with a Cybershot 8.1 megapixel. I am amazed at the higher quality and ease of use with the new one. We got it at Best Buy -- it was an open box item. Retail is $300. We paid $219 and got a $30 gift card, which covered the memory stick and carrying case.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have a Canon Powershot 800 that I bought on Amazon. It's fantastic. The 4G card that came with it is even better...

Draft saved Draft deleted