1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital cameras

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hurricane, May 20, 2007.

1. hurricane

hurricane Member

Looking to buy one, but looking for advice/feedback here. Success stories -- and no success stories with certain brands. What do you look for? Where have you found good deals? What's important to get and what can you live without? Thanks a lot.

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

It really depends on what you want to use it for? Is it just for quick shots and to record the dumb stuff you won't remember from a long night of drinking? Olympus is usually pretty good. But if you want some high-quality shots with an SLR-type, like nature shots, sports pictures and the like, I'd go with Nikon. The D70 does a real nice job: lots of versatility, high resolution, faster shutter speed.

Canon also has some good products, but I've never had a chance to use them. Among sports photogs, it's either Nikon or Canon. Won't see any other brand on the sidelines.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

For personal use, my son and I each have Sonys and love 'em. Easy to use. I got a 6.2 megapixel for about 199. I think you can get 7.2 or some such for about that price now.

My previous Sony - left in a cab by someone not me - was 4.1 megapixel and that was plenty.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I have a Kodak z612, and while Kodak doesn't have the best reputation it's been a really good camera. It's a 6.1 megapixel, 12X optical zoom. You can find it close to $200.

The main things I'd look for are the resolution -- 6.1 megapixel allows for a very nice print, even blown up -- and get a good optical zoom. Digital zoom is worthless.

The other factor that was really important to me was the delay in taking a photo. My previous camera would blink a little sensor light, adjust the iris, adjust the flash, then take the photo. That delay was awful -- we had a baby at the time that quickly figured out that the sensor light meant to close his eyes tight because a flash was about to go off. It also meant any kind of action photo was out of the question.

As for where to buy, I've had good luck with BH Photo -- www.bhphotovideo.com.

5. Cowboycane

Cowboycane Member

I have a canon powershot sd500. They make a few different model numbers, but I've had success with all of them. Mine is 7.1 megapixels, and it looks incredible. I think it was $500

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I'd agree that megapixels are important. We have a Kodak EasyShare C743 and it's pretty good. I think it has 6 megapixels.

My wife and I also prefer having a big view area so you can get a good look at the pix you take before you get them on the computer.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Regardless of where you end up buying, go to a store and check them out. Play around with the controls and make sure they make sense to you. For us, we wanted something that was really convenient for carrying around (we bought it for our honeymoon) so we went to Circuit City and saw what fit best in pockets.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If you are looking to shoot your kids' sporting events, avoid the point-n-shoots.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I have a Canon Sure Shot and I love it. Keep in mind the quality of the memory card figures into the equation as well. I absolutely love Lexar (shameless plug -- I have been unable to destroy a Lexar jump drive no matter how hard I try), and when I switched to a Lexar Platinum II card, my sports shots improved a thousand times over.

10. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

If you're looking for something to use professionally or for high-end personal use, the Fuji S9100 goes for about $525.

I like it because it's SLR (and 9 megapixels), which will allow me to move up to a longer lens in a year or so to do some additional sports photography.

There are an awful lot of buttons but only two or three (plus the shutter) that you actually have to give a rat's tush about most of the time.

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Stay away from Vivitar. I bought one for my daughter for her birthday last year. Four months later, it crapped out and after searching for 3 days or so for a gd Vivitar phone number, they said, "Sorry, we can't help you."

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I have a Nikon D-100. It's 4 years old and has taken half-a-million shots, but it's holding up well. If I had a zoom lens I'd be a happy boy.

Draft saved Draft deleted