1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital camera advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

OK, here's the deal. I'm looking for a digital camera for under $125 that's going to deliver the basics at decent quality.

These pictures are not for publication and they're not art. They're things that would otherwise be taken with a disposable camera in all probability. Simple stuff -- family things, maybe the occasional hooker in her underwear from a long and lonely road trip. (Just kidding on the second one...I think).

Who can recommend something in this price range that's easy to use and delivers acceptable results?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

This thread is useless until you get a digital camera. Oh wait.

Keep an eye out on the early morning sales the next couple weekends. You might find a really good camera in your price range during one of those 7-noon sales.

That said...hate to say it, but you're probably exactly two weeks too late to get the best deal. My wife called me at 5 am two weeks ago today and told me she'd found a great deal on a digital camera for my mom...$70 or so at Best Buy, only 10 or 20 in the store. We thought we'd wait til her birthday next year but the deal was too good to pass up.

Of course, since then I find out from my sister that my mom got all pissy when she couldn't operate my sister's digital camera and went into a rant about how the disposables are just fine. So you may be in luck if we can't convince her otherwise Christmas Day! :D

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Kodak makes some very good cameras in that range, 3.2 or so megapixels and easy to use and transfer. All you need, really, unless you fancy yourself a pro. Office supply stores often have very good deals without the crowds.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

cnet.com has the best most comprehensive reviews.

5. go to ubid.com to find your camera. It's an auction site, and a lot of the cameras are refurbs (but still have a warranty), but you can get great deals. I got my Casio for $225 (including shipping) when Best Buy and Circuit City sold the same camera for $349 plus tax. Definitely worth at least a look.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Smasher, it sounds like you want just a real basic camera.

The HP Photosmart E317 may be something to take a look at. It's not fancy, no optical zoom, but it is 4 megapixels. That's what I needed, nothing real fancy, basically a point and shoot.

Then you can get a little bigger memory card. I think I got a 512mb one for $25.

Both these might have been on sale, but I have seen the E317 listed at that price after I bought it too.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

anybody know anything about the kodak Z612?

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Anybody else have a problem with cheapie digital cameras whose pictures come out blurry no matter how steady your hand when shooting?

I got one as a Christmas gift, an Aiptek 6 megapixel, and it won't stay focused for the life of me. Auto focus, manual, it doesn't matter. I get better shots from my cell phone.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's why mrs. petty is looking into the kodak. our first one sucks ... not so much with the focus, but with the turning everybody's skin gray.

Draft saved Draft deleted