1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital cable box-Tivo connectivity issues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Aug 21, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yesterday, Comcast came and hooked up a digital cable box in my room while I was sitting in a parking lot drafting for a fantasy league (I'm a looser).

I got home..and cable works fine. But my Tivo won't come on. So my roommate told me the Comcast guy said I needed to get an AV cable.

So I hit Wal-Mart after desking last night, buy a 6-foot AV wire thing. Hook it up...still no Tivo. I go to bed. Wake up this morning, and my roommate is able to fix it so the Tivo comes on. Glory Glory! However, it will only record the channel it's set on, while the cable controls TV. So my TV is on channel 3, the basis for my cable system, but Tivo will change it to 12 (a black screen) to record anything on NBC, etc.

So I call Tivo, and they talk me through re-formatting it so it works...and then it does. Except it turns out I'm supposed to have either a "serial" cable or an "IR" cable running from my cable box to my Tivo. Now, not only do I not have either of those but I have no idea what they are. And I don't know which I need.

Anyone? Help? Same situation? Someone? And I hope this was somewhat clear.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

You need to have some way for the TiVo to control your cable box so it can change the channel; such a device (both of our TiVos have an IR setup) should have come with the TiVo.

3. Sounds like your cable company wants you to rent a DVR from them for five to ten bucks a month. I believe the cable you need is an IR extender. This will send a signal to your cable box to change the channel (the cable box will think it's the remote).

The joys of digital cable.

Draft saved Draft deleted