1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital Audio Recorder Help, Please

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Granny, Apr 18, 2008.

1. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Wondering if anybody, a Mac user let's say, knows any good online freeware that will allow me to download audio from an Olympus digital voice recorder to my computer.

Thanks for a helping out a sweet old lady.

Hugs, kisses and pies for all.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What model?

Did it not come with Mac software?

How does it connect?

3. The Granny

The Granny Guest

It did not come with any software. It's a VN-2100PC.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

What happens when you connect via a USB cable?

5. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Nothing on my computer. But the display on the DAR says "PC."

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but . . .

http://www.nch.com.au/recordpad/index.html

You can use it for 2 weeks for free.

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Put simply, it's not possible. That model is PC-only.

Unless you load boot camp (and Windows) onto your Mac, the only way to get the audio on your computer is by using an external audio recorder and hitting play on your recorder and record on the software at the same time, with a cord from the player's headphone jack to the microphone jack on the computer.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

I don't think that's what she has in mind. She wants to get the audio files from her recorder to her Mac.

The Olympus site says that model's not compatible with any Mac OS. I think that's slang for, "We were too lazy to write a Mac driver."

9. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Well this doesn't seem to be going well for me. Oh well, at least Sunday in 4/20 so that helps.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just figured you could play the recording into the computer. I did that with a funny phone message I got once. Not a clean transfer. But doable if you just need to preserve what was said, without quality being perfect.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

Given that she's using a Mac, she wouldn't have needed the third-party app if she wanted to do that.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

And that's why it's called PC. There are a VN-3100 and a VN-3100PC, and there are a VN-4100 and a VN-4100PC. The ones with the PC connect to PCs. The ones without PCs don't link to PCs or Macs. The VN-2100PC is an older model that has been discontinued.

Draft saved Draft deleted