1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Difficulty concentrating - can anyone relate?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Maybe this shouldn't be on a message board, but I'm not finding a perfect match on Google.

The thing is, I have difficulty concentrating. Have for years. And it's particularly bad when I'm 1. Writing 2. Reading or 3. Talking on the phone. I'm in an office where there are people close by all the time, as a lot of us probably do, and it just seems that I can't get any kind of steam going on my writing. I can't pinpoint if it's because I keep anticipating interruptions or if it's something deeper than that, like self-consciousness. Same thing with reading - and it frustrates my wife when I have to go in another room to read a magazine article or book, or turn my back to her in bed at night.

But my mind simply won't let me concentrate unless I have space and complete peace and quiet away from others.

Anxiety disorder of some sort? Or just wussy-itis?

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have no idea what that must be like. I'm usually good as soon as I sit down and start wri...OOOH something shiny!

3. markvid

markvid Guest

I'm sorry, you were saying?

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Dunno what else to say but this: You're fucked.

If you wanna make it in this biz, you better learn how to isolate yourself in a crowd.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

You should check with your doctor about medication. I know some anti-depressant/anti-anxiety drugs, such as Lexapro, help with concentration.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Ok, I'll actually give a serious answer.
    See your doc first. He'd steer you in the right direction, maybe it's adult ADD, maybe you could use a self-help tape, etc.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Atterol.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

paxil.

it's done such wonders for me -- anxiety, concentration -- i recommend it to everyone for everything. ;D ;D ;D

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Were you able to get that from your regular doc or did you need to get it elsewhere?

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

One non-drug approach I try is to turn up the volume on the inner monologue. I also think of up-tempo songs.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Fuck that. Go with the drugs. :D

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I would go see a doctor, either a M.D. or a psychiatrist. The possibility of ADD or ADHD is one that you may want to think about.

If you work in a newsroom where it's possible to have minimal distractions when you have to file a story, do what you can. If that means grabbing a laptop and walking into a conference room or some other method, it doesn't hurt to try.

Draft saved Draft deleted