1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Difference in cultures?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spup1122, Aug 27, 2007.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

OK, so Hollywood isn't the only fucked up moving making area in the world. A bollywood actor is going to jail for five years for shooting some endangered gazelles....(http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/25/khan.jailed.reut/index.html)

And then we've got Hollywood, where people go to jail for a day for shooting heroin. What is the deal? I know our jails are overcrowded, but maybe we need to learn something from other parts of the world. Send people to jail so they really will change. Not for 82 minutes, or 20 days or one day. Send them so it counts. Send them for significant time so they realize that just because they're famous, they're not immune from the law of the land.

2. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Wow, I get to see the Sharrukh Khan ad again. Thanks SJ for this.

If you know anything about Salman Khan, he always gets in trouble with the law. He is a marked man with the Indian police. It hasn't hurt his career though.

In India though, you can't harm animals because they are sacred. That is known so the punishment fits the crime.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

So maybe Bollywood isn't different in the way they treat people. I mean, Paris Hilton is a pretty marked person with police in SoCal, but the 30 day punishment or whatever is ridiculous. And Nicole Richie...yeah, I'm not going to get started on that. I think lives are sacred and driving the wrong way on a freeway when you're under the influence of drugs should be a pretty big deal.

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

No they are different. They actually give out appropriate punishments in India and make them serve it.

Draft saved Draft deleted