1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Difference between writing and editing clip

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Untitled, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Untitled

Untitled New Member

A friend of mine in the journalism business, who's trying to get a new gig, asked me what the difference is between an editing and writing clip is.

Oddly, I thought they were the same thing, but now I'm not so sure. It's for an associate editor position and the potential employer asked for both.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Yeesh. Are you in the journalism business?
  3. Untitled

Untitled New Member

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Good topic. I have writing clips and page design clips and headline clips. But not any true editing clips, where I cleaned up someone else's story. I've done that plenty, including sitting next to younger reporters and reworking entire pieces. I just never kept the original unedited copy. Would a hiring manager take the time to read stuff like that?

Sending that out sort of seems like saying "look how bad the reporters I work with are".
  5. Untitled

Untitled New Member

SnarkySnark made it seem like I asked something stupid. To each his or her own.

At any rate, I've never heard of someone asking for editing clips (unlike page design, as you mentioned), nor have I ever heard of an editor keeping an original copy w/ or w/o actual editing notes on it to clean it up.

I'm also not sure why an editor would want to keep something like that either, or would even have the time to save it.
  6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Am I going out of my mind here?

A writing clip is of something you wrote. An editing clip is of something you edited and didn't write. A design clip is of something you designed.

Holy hell.
  7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

How can you prove you edited something anyway? Show them the original and what you did to correct it?
  8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's the only thing I can think of. It's sort of weird, because the better written something is, the less editing it will need. If something is a real mess, like some of the submissions we get from parents, coaches and others on our community sports page, then it may require some real heavy editing or even rewriting.

I know some editors have an urge to rewrite everything.... sort of like its how they justify their existence. I try to let the writer do the story-telling. Obviously, I'm going to correct style, grammar, punctuation, etc. And if I feel like the lead is buried in the 17th paragraph, I'm going to at least speak with the reporter and offer a suggestion, time permitting (and sometimes on deadline time doesn't allow for that). But I'm not one of those real heavy-handed editors who feels the need to leave a personal fingerprint on every story that goes on the page.
  9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've submitted editing clips. I'd keep the original file (from where the writer emailed it in) and print out the version that ran. I had an intro page that explained the key changes I made to improve the story. They don't care how you fix grammar ... everyone does that. I showed them how I improved the story, made it flow better, moved key parts around, etc.
Draft saved Draft deleted