1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Difference between being a fan of team v. fan of individual

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Probably, but I'm certainly better-looking.

Anyway, I know what you're saying. It's annoying as shit to hear people talk about their fantasy team when you know they don't know which team half the players are on.

But it's possible to know the league and enjoy the fantasy aspect.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Interesting, ya never hear a thing about the breakup of the Garvey-Lopes-Russell-Cey infield. Not a Dodger fan, but went to Cooperstown as an 8 year old and got a Garvey poster that hung on my wall for years. He was like Jeter for his time, just held up as a paragon. If the tawdry shit that came out later had not been known, I think he gets into Cooperstown, bc he was the golden boy for many years. Bad timing, inasmuch as it was good timing for Puckett, who was later denuded.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Indeed, was enamored with Piazza, the Dodgers' Hall of Fame slugging catcher in the making. Still looking for video of a homer he hit at Riverfront in 1993, either June 19 or 20. Most devastating homer I'd seen at the time, straight away center. Still might be the best homer I've ever seen. It was really the moment I started my mancrush.

4. Songbird

Not so much of not saying anything as it was time to break 'em up. I got into baseball in '77 so I got to see the Garvey-Lopez-Cey-Russell infield for 3-4-5 years.

It was weird to see Garvey at first for the Paders and Cey at third for the Cubs in the '84 NLCS.

5. Songbird

I don't know, man, it's, like, do I fucking trust that Joc can stop striking the fuck out?

And do I keep Harrison because Walker is gone and Aramis retired and Kodos' brother is injured for a stretch?

Screen shot 2016-03-11 at 6.46.48 AM.png

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot, Curt Flood.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It never was for me, until I came to this board. :D

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And that is why both of you are just sad.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'll root for any of the 2014-15 Royals, even as some have left the team or probably will in the next 2-3 years. What they represented to me - as a team - were some of the best sports memories of my life.

For that... I'll always be grateful to each of them and happy to cheer on Zobrist with the Cubs, Finnegan with the Reds, etc... Hell, I'll even root for Alex Rios.

10. Songbird

Still waiting for a thank you from Red Sox fans for that base Dave Roberts stole against the Yankees ... :D

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Phillies are my team and always will be. I mean, it'd be nice if the Eagles were better and the Sixers weren't such a horror, but I don't spend much time worrying about that. As far as rooting for individuals, I have always pulled for guys who I enjoyed covering. Pedro was a blast to cover, so I always rooted for him to do well. I was sad when it didn't work out for Mo Vaughn when he left the Sox, because I liked him a lot. I was raised to hate the Celtics and all their works, but I could never root for Kevin McHale to fail at anything.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Sox fans love everyone from that 2004 team. Even Millar, whose persona is exhausting.

Draft saved Draft deleted