1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Difference between being a fan of team v. fan of individual

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I didn't appreciate Maddux like I should have during his glory days. Tried to watch him as much as possible the last 5-6 years.

CD Boogie likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

How can ya hate the best franchise in sports?

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I feel like the opposite has happened to me as I age. I've grown tired of being let down by people of whom I wanted to be a fan. They're human. I'm human. We all make mistakes. But I don't like the false narratives that get built around so many of these guys. Now I just root for my teams, enjoy the players that are there while they're there, and try not to get too high or low about any individual.

My old man has found my approach hard to understand. He raised me to be a Colts fan. When Peyton Manning left for Denver, my dad, like a lot of Colts fans, started paying more attention to the Broncos than the team he'd rooted for for nearly 30 years. Me, I said sure I'd rather see Peyton do well than poorly, but I don't give two flips about the Broncos and don't really care that much about Peyton's post-Colts career.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The NBA has built its entire appeal on the idea that people will follow individuals and not teams.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The only time I think I really got pissed when a player left is when Piazza was traded. As for being a complete slobbering homer, those days are long gone even though I want USC football to win and Long Beach hoops to win and for the Lakers and Kings to rep. At this age, 44, I watch sports for the poetry of the action and the storylines.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've hit the point where I really don't give a shit about the teams and don't care much about the players. I just enjoy watching the games. I root for Oregon because it's my alma mater and I root for the Angels. I now root for the Warriors because they're just so damn much fun to watch. Otherwise, eh.

Since I was a kid I've been prone to get pissed at "my" teams and walk away. I was a Dodgers fan when I was a kid, but never forgave them for breaking up the Garvey-Lopes-Russell-Cey infield. I grew up a Laker fan but hated the teams that followed the Showtime era -- especially the one that wouldn't listen to Magic when he was coach. And my favorite team of all as a kid was the LA Kings, but when they were bought by a con man who changed the logo and colors to ape the Raiders and sell shit to gang members, I was done.

Huggy likes this.
  7. Rooting for a team is rooting for laundry.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

As I get a little older I've come to appreciate achievements regardless of team (unless they're playing my Giants). However I can't stand certain teams not because I should as a Bay Area fan but because of fans of other teams. I hate the Dodgers more than I used to because of LA fans. I hate the Cowboys more than I used to because I have to read their crap on Facebook.

But I don't hate the Packers even though I'm a 49ers fan because I really like Rodgers.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I miss the days when somebody knew a league because they watched all the teams, not because of fantasy crap.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Interesting. Piazza was the first person who cam to mind when I opened the thread. I never really liked him. And then when he ended up with the Mets, I embraced him. And I'm still pretty stunned he's going into the Hall as a Met. I despised Pedro even more, but if they can help the team win, that's all that matters to me.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Abe Simpson, football fan.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

usual response from a fantasy fan.
    I'm probably younger than you, dude.

Draft saved Draft deleted