1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diet help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jan 8, 2008.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Working out with free weights or even universals at low reps with high weights will stack on some pounds. I definitely wouldn't try to pack on the pounds by saying what's up to the King or Roger McDonald.

2. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Thought I'd offer my story because I've been down this road. I lost about 60 pounds over the course of about eight months. Here's how it happened:

1. Went to the doctor, had a physical, and once I was cleared of any significant medical problems, he gave me a three-month course of a drug called phentermine. It's an appetite suppressant that's been around since the 1950s. But the drug alone won't really help you.

2. Talked to a nutritionist (on staff at my doctor's office, so it was pretty convenient). She told me it wasn't so much what I was eating, but how much. Obviously, you have to lay off the sweets and junk food and eating more fruit and veggies helps a lot. But if you eat a balanced diet and stick somewhere around 1800 calories a day, you can pretty much eat what you want and lose weight. I had to be really mindful of calories. 2000 calories is a standard diet. If you can come in under that each day, it's a plus. One important thing here, I didn't have any sort of restricted diet because all of my bloodwork was good. Despite being significantly overweight, my cholesterol and other numbers weren't really too bad. Everyone is going to be different, so it's important to go to the doctor and get a lipid panel done so you know where you are.

3. Exercise. It's everything. Seriously. Cardio. Joined the gym and went three or four days a week and did nothing but cardio. No weights. Weights are for people looking to bulk up. Got on the exercise bike for 20 or 30 minutes, then did some situps, then hit the track and jogged a little. As someone else mentioned, you have to work up to it. When I first started I was a huge blob and about 15 minutes was all I could do on the bike, and then maybe some walking. I couldn't run. It took about three months before I could run/jog, and by three or four months I was able to work out for 45 minutes.

About nine months after I started all this, I had lost enough weight and gained enough stamina that I was able to join a rec soccer league and started playing a game I've loved since I was 8 for the first time since I finished high school. That did wonders mentally. Losing weight is tough, but it can be done if you commit to it. And it helps to have friends. I had two people I went to the gym with pretty regularly and it really helped knowing they were going to be there -- it was almost like I'd be letting them down or slacking off if I didn't show.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.cbass.com/Laszlo'sLetter.htm

There's lots of good advice in this article, not so much about what to eat (or not eat) and how to train, but the importance of patience and finding a method that you can live with and does not involve suffering is to long-term success.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm in the same boat. I'm 6'3 and usually between 150 and 160. I'd really like to get up around 170 or 180 where I feel I'd be at my healthiest. Despite years of trying to gain weight nothing has worked for me.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I hate you. That is all.

I've lost about 60 pounds in the last two years, which helped me avoid gastric bypass. Now, I'm doing Weight Watchers to lose the last bit to get down to my goal weight, which I haven't seen since my freshman year of HS.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

21 hates when I say this, but it really is a straight formula. If you burn off more than you take in, you will lose weight. There are no quick fixes, though. You need to change your habits so that you can maintain it and turn it into a permanent, healthy way of life. There are a lot of bad foods to avoid. Follow 21's advice. Simple carbs are by and large not good. Lots of calories, very little nutritional benefit. And they spike glucose levels. I personally don't have to pound protein the way she is suggesting. I make sure to get enough protein in my diet, but I concentrate more on getting as much fiber as I can from the carbs I eat (and I eat a carb heavy diet) and eating as low fat as possible. It isn't just about weight loss. If you cut fatty foods out of your diet you will lose weight -- this is the main cause of obesity in this country, not carb-heavy diets. People eat fast food and monster meals with 1,000 calories and 50 grams of fat. That not only makes you fat, it is unhealthy as all hell. It's bad for your heart. The extra weight puts you at greater risk for diabetes and stroke. Those are the things you should be concentrating on when you look at that Big Mac and say, "Not for me."

But don't try to lose 45 pounds in three weeks. It's not possible and to the extent that you starve anything off, you will 1) Yo yo back to where you were and beyond, and 2) throw your metabolism out of whack, making it harder to lose weight the right way when you realize that there are no quick fixes.

As for the water thing, you shouldn't gorge yourself with water, but drinking little bits throughout the day IS healthy. And it helps you feel more full, which just gives you an edge.

One small trick that might help... Go to a health food store and find Psyllium Husk. It's the most concentrated fiber available. Your body can't digest it and when it gets mixed with water it expands to about 10 times its original size. I clean myself out for a month here and there with this stuff. I mix it with water (most normal people do it with orange of fruit juice) and chug it down twice a day. The brand I use is made by Sonne. It's of a higher quality than some of the other brands. Pysillium husk is essentially what you find in metamucil, except in metamucil they leave out the seed to keep the price down and they grind it too fine. Give it a few days the first time, because you WILL feel uncomfortable and bloated for a few days. And you may crap your brains out and pass some things you didn't know were inside. It will help lighten you up, almost like a diuretic, but the main reason I am suggesting it is that it makes you feel full and satiated beyond belief. A teaspoon of this stuff mixed with water and you don't feel like snacking and eating crappy food. It's worth the try.

7. joe

joe Active Member

That's patently false. Building muscle helps with losing weight because muscle makes your body more efficient at burning calories. Every trainer will put someone who wants to lose weight on a cardio and weight-training regimen, not simply cardio alone. And not everyone who lifts is looking to bulk up, or will bulk up. Creating muscle tone is the goal for many.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That's what I was going to say.
    However, if someone in need of a workout is going to the gym, I can't say I'm going to fault them if they only do cardio. At least they're doing something.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Seriously, dude, it probably won't have a huge impact on your health, bu if you've got the time, park further away from the stores your frequent. Little things like that don't hurt at all.

10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

A little reference that helped me drop a few pounds a year ago, www.dietfacts.com. It's not the be-all end-all of calorie-counting references, but it worked.

11. I wish I could help but I haven't eaten a cheeseburger or drank a non-diet soda in the last month - and I still gained two pounds on a diet of tuna sandwiches and crystal light. Oh, and a couple of lean cuisines here and there. I guess it doesn't help to eat two Lean Cuisines at a time, huh?

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm glad someone responded to that, because my head almost popped off when I read it. Cardio without weights is like getting a touchdown and missing the extra point.

Some benefits of weight-training:
    -speeds up your metabolism
    -burns up extra sugars
    -muscle burns calories even while you're sitting on your ass
    -muscle just looks good.

Just be aware that muscle weighs more than fat, so at some point you can actually gain weight while you lose fat and look better. The number on the scale doesn't matter as much as the way you feel in (and out of) your clothes.

Draft saved Draft deleted