1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diet help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Whoa, I misread the 13 litres. Holy shit, dude. Remember that story about the people that had to drink a couple gallons of water in an hour for a radio contest ... and that one chick died. Easy on the water.

2. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Lots of good stuff here so far, but I'll add a few things:

Start slow. Going gung-ho right off the bat will only fill you with fail.

On that note, exercise. Talk a walk around the neighborhood twice this week, then next week, do it three times. By mid-February, you'll be craving that walk around the 'hood every night, and, by then, you might even be ready to mix in a jog. Like I said, start slow and work your way up.

Skipping meals doesn't help, especially breakfast. Buy some Ensure (or a knock-off brand at your local grocery store) and drink one each morning for breakfast. There's lots of vitamins in those things and they do a pretty good job controlling your hunger without the use of diet pills, which are essentially speed (have you seen Requiem for a Dream?). The shakes also get your metabolism going, and for a mere 250 calories, you'll feel energized through the morning.

Good luck. Pace yourself. And don't kick yourself for mixing in a few beers here and there. Nobody's perfect.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Unless you have a boxing match in the next week, what is the point of losing 45 pounds in a short amount of time? It's dangerous and very unhealthy. You know your reasoning better than anyone, but jeez.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Lay off the salty chocolate balls for a while and the pounds should melt away.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Exercise, exercise, exercise. Any time I try to lose weight, it's the No. 1 factor in whether it works or not. It burns calories and ups your metabolism, so it makes up for some of what you eat. Plus, if I've worked out that day, I'm much less likely to go off the diet later, because I feel like I've made an investment in the day.

6. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Portion control. Fewer and smaller.

Water (with lemon).

Go for whole foods. Think anything from the outside edges of the grocery store - vegetables, dairy, meats, bakery.

Routinely exercise, at least four times a week.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I hate the word diet so instead I'm "watching" what I eat. Something I did was make up a list of foods (Chinese food, soda, candy, cookies, ect.) I am banned from eating until further notice. And I've set a 10 p.m. deadline for eating since I usually go to bed between 1-2 a.m. on most nights. I used to drink a ton of water, but I'm scaling back on that now. I drink one glass of apple juice with breakfast and water for the rest of the day (I'd say about 2-3 liters). I'm also allowing myself one Dunkin Donuts coffee a week, but no donuts.

As far as exercising, I started a workout routine yesterday until I can do some research for a good gym in the area. I always feel if I'm paying for a membership there's no way I'll allow myself to stop working out. I like weight training, but my biggest problem is I have pain in my left knee almost daily. It doesn't last all day, but it's there just about every morning. I had an MRI on it back in the summer and all it showed was some inflamation behind the knee cap. I'm trying to figure out which kind of cardio would be best to put as little stress as possible on my knee.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

YOU SHUT YOUR GODDAM MOUTH!

No, really.

Thanks to everyone who have responded.

I just ate a turkey sandwich.

I was starting to get the shakes a couple hours ago.

I need to act somewhat reasonable about this, and not be dumb about it.

I was doing good before the holidays, and before I knew it, that rat bastard Santa brought me about 11 extra pounds.

I'm not what I consider "FAT".....6'2, about 265. But, come hell or high water, my ass is getting down to 225.

I'm active. Ref about 15 basketball games 3x a week, play golf (Walking, when there's not a foot of fucking snow on the ground.)

It will come off, but I have to be patient about it.

Thanks again.

Chef

9. joe

joe Active Member

Eat breakfast. It gets your metabolism going in the morning. Then eat four or five smaller meals throughout the day, about every 2.5 to three hours. It keeps your metabolism chugging along, and it keeps you from gorging on one big meal at lunch or supper.

Losing weight is all about calories burned vs. calories ingested, so exercise is vital.

I am by no means fat, but there's about 15 pounds I'd like to take off in the next four months or so, which would make me much leaner and would allow me to work out that much harder. I've cut out the beer and am keeping my calorie intake at about 2,300 a day. And already I've lost about five pounds of the Thanksgiving to New Year fat I put on.

Diet is a four-letter word. Sensible is not.

Joe

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How do you gain weight? Seriously. The most I've ever weighed is 160 pounds and I am 6-5. I eat a pretty good amount (though mainly fast food) and drink a lot of beer and don't gain any weight. Of course, coffee and cigarettes for breakfast probably doesn't help.

As an aside, I weigh probably 145 to 150 right now.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

It's called metabolism. While your weight might be "normal" despite your diet, your arteries and heart surely aren't a big fan of what you're eating.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, obviously, I have high metabolism, but is there way to gain weight even with it? I am 27, you'd think my metabolism would have slowed somewhat.
    I do cook a lot more for myself than I used to in an attempt to eat healthier, it is just hard to get in that mode with our hours and everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted