1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diet help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

OK; I am on a mission to drop some 45 pounds.

In a hurry.

I am taking some medicine to help, and have drank a little over 13 liters of water in the last two days.

I have eaten a bowl of soup, with a tortilla.

I know this probably isn't healthy for me.......is it?

I dropped 8 pounds over this past weekend.

This kills me because I like to drink beer.

No......I REALLY like to drink beer.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yeah, that's not healthy. And it won't stay off if you crash diet.

You have to do it in a rational matter. Eat better, exercise more, etc. You can't just drink water and take fat-burning pills unless you want to a.) wear out your body and b.) gain it all right back with your first bite of red meat.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Depends ... I have a recipe for tortilla soup that is very good for you! But you can't starve yourself. You need to eat -- even carbs -- to keep your energy stores on high.

Drink lots of water. Stop on the beer. Stop on soda pop. Stop on all sugar-based beverages.

Excessive water intake can be bad for you, too. Keep it down to two to three litres a day.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Have (hesitantly) stopped on the beer.

Don't drink pop.

Haven't had a black bull (Red Bull/Coffee) in a good long time.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Jeebus, you were mixing Red Bull and coffee?!?!?! How's your ticker? When was the last time you had a physical?

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Talked to my grandmother about the water part of dieting (she was a nurse for a long time) and she was adamant (as IJAG said) that overdoing water intake will actually make it so much harder to make this any more than a crash diet.
    Even 64 ounces a day, she said, may be too much for some people. Unless you're detoxing, she said you don't need to go much over that.

I did a low-carb last year just before my wedding and lost 28 pounds in a little over a month. I gained most of it back this fall.
    Now, I'm doing a mix of low-fat and low carb. I've already started getting back to where I want.
    As disgusting as some people think it is, you might want to look into Slim-Fast. It's under 200 calories for a shake, and if it's not enough, maybe try some fruit to go along with it.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm in the same boat, Chef, except I'm not aiming to lose 45 in a hurry. Forty-five over the year, yes. Forty-five before I stand in my friends wedding in mid-March, no way.

I'm down four pounds in 10 days by eating more fruits and veggies, cutting out the deserts ... just eating smarter overall. However, on Saturday afternoon, I wanted a frozen pizza. I know it's terrible for me, but I had a little and went healthy for dinner with a grilled chicken sandwich, sans mayo and cheese, and a salad with a fraction of the dressing they offered. I also made sure to keep up with the gym routine.

In a few weeks at a Super Bowl party, I'm going to drink beer, and I'm going to eat. I'll be more aware of what I eat, and the next day I'm back on the regiment, but I'm not going to starve myself of the things I enjoy because I know that won't work. Moderation, I expect, will.

Ultimately, I'm counting calories. For lunch, salads with carrots, broccoli, tuna, a little bit of cheese, and nuts. Dinner, piece of grilled chicken or fish and veggies. And mostly water to drink.

Good luck, buddy. Stay fit, stay strong.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Keep a food log. Write down everything you eat or drink. Until I got serious about doing that, I never got any results.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm like a lot of people where if I don't see a big initial drop, I have trouble staying on a diet. If I'm going to kill myself eating grapefruit and dry toast, I had better lose three pounds a day... :)

That said, Atkins works better for me than anything. I usually dump about 10 pounds in the first two weeks and then about 2-3 pounds a week the rest of the way.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

From Thanksgiving until Festivus (Dec. 23), I ate smaller portions, cut out snacking and stopped eating at fast-food joints and I lost six pounds. Of course, after stuffing myself with junk food, snacks and booze for two straight weeks, I put on way more than six pounds.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Chef--get some nutrition into yourself, fast. When your body thinks it's starving, it shuts down your metabolism to conserve energy. You want to burn fat...right now, you're losing water and muscle tissue.

If you're serious about losing weight:
    1. Don't eat within 3 hours of going to bed.
    2. No white carbs--sugar, flour, rice, bread, pasta.
    3. Eat protein, all day. Egg whites, lean turkey, fish.
    4. get some cardio exercise everyday, AND LIFT WEIGHTS. Do the weights before the cardio. Weight-training jazzes up your metabolism and burns up your excess sugar before it becomes fat.
    5. No beer.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Exercise works wonders too. You just don't have to starve yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted