1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Die Hard IS a Christmas Movie As Far As I'm concerned...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by daytonadan1983, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Remember the rea$on for the $ea$on.

2. highlander

highlander Member

Millions of untraceable Bearer Bonds?

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

All your speeches, Highlander, and you're nothing but a common thief.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

He is an exceptional thief. And since he's moving up to kidnapping, you should be more polite.

5. highlander

highlander Member

Hans: The following people are to be released from their captors: In Northern Ireland, the seven members of the New Provo Front. In Canada, the five imprisoned leaders of Liberte de Quebec. In Sri Lanka, the nine members of the Asian Dawn movement...
    John McClane: [listening on the radio] What the fuck?
    Karl: [mouthing silently] Asian Dawn?
    Hans: [covers the radio] I read about them in Time magazine.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I actually always thought that was a stupid line for Hans to say. Moving up to kidnapping? By that time, he'd already killed how many people, including two (Takagi and Ellis) with bullets to the head at close range?

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Best line in the flick
    "I think we're going to need some new FBI guys."

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Why don't you come out to the coast, we'll have a few laughs.

9. Don't forget Argyle playing Run DMC's "Christmas in Hollis."

Back then, Notre Dame and USC would never have been playing around Christmas, though.

And, can someone please answer this question that has bugged me for 20+ years? How did John know that Hans was not Bill Clay. Was it his not blinking when offered the European cigarette?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I just figured he was suspicious that he would not be with the other hostages.

What better way to check than to give him an unloaded gun? If the guy doesn't point it at your head, you can always give him bullets later.

Oh, and I say it's a Christmas movie if you count It's a Wonderful Life a Christmas movie.

Christmas is really a plot device in both to get the people all in town.

Die Hard uses it ironically, and A Wonderful Life uses it to tie everything together at the end.

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Agreed. It's A Wonderful Life is a Depression era, small-town values movie with a Christmas finale (complete with talking nebula!). Great film, but if it's a Christmas movie, so are "Die Hard" and "Lethal Weapon."

I was actually disappointed when "Die Hard With a Vengeance" was set outside of the holiday season.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Phoniest part of the flick was when Willis jumps from the roof and shoots the glass out of an office window. Windows that high up won't shatter like that. Also, the fire hose wheel that he used to support himself breaks and is falling. As heavy as that hose wheel is, his ass should've fallen too just by shear force. In the flick, he conveniently has time to untie himself. Bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted