1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Die Hard at 30: how it remains the quintessential American action movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by justgladtobehere, Jul 12, 2018.

1. But Moonlighting was a great show.

fossywriter8 likes this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sadly, this belongs here instead of on my favorite thread:

Bruce on TikTok

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

No se.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Fun fact: before this scene the director said it's going to be a 1-2-3-FALLLLLLL scene. Slow-motion, fall on 3, land in the big safety bag.

ACTION! /click/

Music playing and the look-struggle-gun coming up during 1 ... 2 ... and Willis lets him go at 2 instead of count 3.

Thus the look of true surprise as Hans falls to his demise.

Liut likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

God damn right.

7. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I think the party was just going to be a short affair — couple hours, maybe — for the suits to hobnob with the board and Takagi and eat some catered hors d'oeuvres after work before heading home. I don't think it was supposed to be one of those into-the-early-morning-hours gatherings.
    And of course it's a Christmas movie.
    Side note: First time I saw it, I noticed the gas prices at the convenience store when Al steps outside to look toward Nakatomi Plaza and thought, "Man, gas is expensive in L.A."
    Now, I think, "Man, I wish gas was that cheap again."

Liut and garrow like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Well to be fair, they just closed a big deal. Hence, the cocaine. I still say that movie was all about "the watch" (symbolizing Holly's career) and only when it "breaks free" (and Hans goes bye bye) does it become clear that "letting go" of her career to go back to being a wife and mom was the key to her happiness. (Yeah, it's sexist - but have you seen a Hallmark Christmas movie lately?)

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How many people, especially executives and employees with families, would be sticking around until closing time on Christmas Eve, though? Most of them would be gone by noon, if they showed up at all that day. This is a corporate headquarters that can easily close on Christmas Eve. It's not something like a grocery or retail store where you need to have employees there until the last minute to deal with customers.
    There's no reason that party should be held any later than Dec. 22 or 23.

Liut and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

If you're working on Christmas Eve it's only because you're still one of those who only gets two weeks of vaca per year, and you used all yours up over the summer.

Don't even get me started on the folks stuck at work during the week between Christmas and NYE.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You make that sound like working those two weeks makes someone a bad or stupid person. The world doesn't stop on a dime for two weeks. Somebody has to keep it turning.

12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Relax Francis.

It's a thread about Die Hard.

Draft saved Draft deleted