1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Didn't get the message the first time? You're outta here!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It's a Christian league with a clear no cursing rule. One warning and a 10-yarder and then you are done. FT didn't enforce his beliefs on the dude. He enforced the league rules.

I assume everybody in the league has access to the rules before they play.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Correct on ALL counts, Moddy.

It doesn't get any clearer than this language from the rules: "No cursing. If you are caught doing so, a 10 yard penalty will be assessed for the first [instance]. The second occurrence will result in a 10 yard penalty, player ejection and suspension from the next game."

I correctly applied and enforced the rule I was given to apply and enforce. My opinions on whether the rule is warranted or not aren't relevant.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fuck that.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The softball league I used to play in had a no-swearing rule as well. Most umps wisely only enforced it if the profanity was directed at another player. "Ah, shit," is a lot different than "You're a shithead."

The one guy who did abide by the letter of the rule? Everyone just called him an asshole. (Not saying you are, F_T ... all the refs in your league may call it strictly, for all I know. I just happen to think it's a bullshit rule and if I'd paid $40 or whatever to play in a league, I'd be pretty pissed if I got suspended for saying something as benign as "shit.")

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's pretty clear what your opinions are, given that you started a thread to brag about what you did as if it were some sort of accomplishment.

As for my opinion, it coincides with those of Bubbler and bigpern.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Rules are rules. I play in a men's church hoops league where there is a zero tolerance on wearing jewelry. Every year someone gets a technical for wearing a cross. Shit happens.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I am a Christian and I think I would only be able to play one quarter every other game in that league.

Not proud of my swearing, it's a bad habit that rears its ugly head in competitive situations and at work when the computer turns into a piece of shit. There I go again.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yes, I understand that rules are rules. I also understand that people can choose whether or not to participate in such leagues.

I choose to mock such leagues and people who pretend their morality is so great that someone twice saying "shit" in a non-insulting way is worthy of ejection from play.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Guys, we can all think the rule is shit - when it is spelled out like that, you enforce it.
    Most leagues I've reffed in (haven't done it in years) had some sort of sportsmanship rule but no real specifics. The basic common sense policy was you'd let someone vent quickly without penalty. A curse word in frustration wasn't that big a deal. Curse words directed at you, or another player, or a long, continued rant? Another story. And while I'm a person who uses the F words too much, I did crack down on that. Guy is angry and shouts FUCK I'd say something like, "I understand your frustration try and find another way to express it." As long as that was it, that was it.

If the rule is written out clearly like in FT's case? A 10-yarder and then you're done. Them's the rules.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Big, big difference between someone swearing because they're upset at themselves or the situation as opposed to someone aiming it at you. But I know Moddy and F_T know that.

Never threw someone out, but did have a frat boy one time upset me enough during a volleyball match that during a changeover of sides between games, I did call the "coach" of the sorority team and made it crystal clear that he said one more word, he was gone (he started bellowing during the second game and a simple, pointed stare ended it). My friend and fellow official, still a good friend to this day, was stunned. I had had enough.

But F_T's league apparently puts lots of emphasis on religion, the family hour, guarding against inappropriate language, etc. It's extreme, but those type of leagues usually don't shy away from those sorts of rules and, more importantly, enforcing them.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I created this thread as a way of expressing my disbelief that someone would be dumb enough to say the exact same word in back-to-back plays after the first time saying it cost his team 10 yards and the second time would result in his being ejected and suspended for the next game. I didn't enjoy throwing him out, as much as you want to believe I did.

But thanks for putting words on my computer screen for me. I really appreciate it. ::)

For the record, I don't like the rule. However, that rule is so explicit it leaves no room for interpretation.

In the other sports I officiate at the high school level, I give verbal warnings for cursing as a way of telling players "I hear you. Be careful." In those leagues, I've only ever thrown an unsportsmanlike conduct flag for swearing in a game once, and that was because the kid directed it at someone.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted