1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did your newspaper run this quote?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 15, 2006.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Padres OF Mike Cameron, talking up the start of this weekend's series in LA....

"Oh, man, it's about as big as it can get around here," said Mike Cameron, whose bases-loaded single broke open a scoreless game in the seventh inning. "We've got a little bit of energy and momentum going into LA. I'm sure they're going to be ready to go and everything. And it's going to be a big Friday night matinee in LA."

AP ran this and it appeared that way in the two newspapers I checked.

Do the think the right thing was to just delete the word "matinee" or leave it as is?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Won't it be a matinee in L.A. because the fans will be there for the first couple of innings and then leave?

3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Member

Cameron making LaGrange, Ga., proud.

I'd leave it. The guy said it.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

If you leave it, don't you need to somehow explain it so that it shows you know it's wrong?

Like ....

Cameron, doing his best Yogi Berra impersonation, said "yada yada yada"

Otherwise I think it makes the reporters and the editors look bad, as well as Cameron.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He said it. Leave it in.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I just asked our AP guy here in the press box, and he said he'd have either taken out the word "matinee" or made some reference making it clear that he knew it was a malaprop. I personally think you have to do one or the other.

8. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

The AP writer is a douchebag. If every writer did that, Yogi Berra wouldn't be Yogi Berra and Ralph Kiner wouldn't be Ralph Kiner.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Hope you feel better soon.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

(thank you)

11. FCE

FCE Member

we laughed about it, and ran it.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

run it. it probably went right over the heads of most of the idiots reading the story

Draft saved Draft deleted