1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did you hear what Howard Stern said today?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 30, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"Neither did we" says the NY Times - lol
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/business/media/28radio.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5087&en=c4f86d9de119fd64&ex=1246165200&adxnnlx=1230677658-jXiGRpdNkvzWUU54yXXFEA

Sirius XM Radio will be tits-up in a year because its got a billion dollars worth of debt that comes due in 2009 and can only be re-fied at rates that are, how shall we say, slightly more expensive than five years ago.

None of the financial geniuses figured out that low-cost financing wouldn't be around forever.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Within the past couple weeks, they've been flogging "lifetime" subscriptions--but never mention the price on the air. I figure they're desperate for cash right now.

I think I'll pass on the lifetime subscription for now. I want it to be for my lifetime, not theirs.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

So what you're saying, Poindexter, is I should put the iPod phone kit on my 2009 Xmas list?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I haven't heard what Howard Stern has said for pretty much the last 30 years; why would today be any different?? ::)

5. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

The reporter uses a Jay Leno quote to drive home a point about Howard Stern. Wow. Surely he knows Leno and Stern hate each other's guts, right?

Sirius and XM made huge mistakes by shelling out big bucks to Oprah and Martha Stewart, two people with little or no previous radio experience. Who's signing up to hear those two? Anybody?

I also wonder how much money the companies spent on Jamie Foxx and Eminem and other big names who barely do any actual broadcasting on their respective channels. Say what you want about Stern's deal, but the guy has a large, loyal radio audience and he puts a helluva lot of effort into his channels and his show.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The money they paid Stern is as wasted as any of the other money they spent.

His act was already stale when he went on satellite and the freedom he has there took away the one thing that kept him motivated -- fighting the people who try to shut him down.

Nobody hears, nobody cares.

The Times article is right. Stern made a ton of money, but he surrendered the buzz he used to create in traditional radio. He's irrelevant to everyone but his hardcore audience.

7. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

How do you figure? Sirius had less than a million subscribers before he signed with them. Millions of people, myself included, signed up simply because he went there. If Sirius goes down, it won't be because of him. I'm not sure what else he could do for the company.

And who cares if the show is not as relevant as it was in 2000? I doubt Stern himself truly even gives a shit. He's now got the freedom to do the kind of show he wants to do, and there's no more FCC nonsense, no more Clear Channel bullshit, no more guys in a booth bleeping the word "vagina."

8. poindexter

Stern was paid $300 million in 2006. His contract is a half a billion dollars. The company has a billion dollars in debt due next year, that they can't refinance. Do the math.

9. poindexter

Oy vey.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Still don't get paying for radio, I've got an Ipod and a car dock, that's good enough for me.

11. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Says the guy who posts teacher-student sex threads on a regular basis.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Clearly, most people see it that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted