1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did you have an Ashley Madison account?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 1, 2015.

?

Did you have an Ashley Madison account?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    97.4%
  1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I see what you are saying, that wondering ain't cheating, and that given a long enough relationship, everyone wonders. I certainly have nothing on a decades-long marriage, but I've definitely wondered and even been tempted in my long-term relationships, including the one I am in now.

I think I phrased what I was trying to say above poorly. I think, when you pull up, sign on and register to a website designed to cheat, you are going one step past wondering. I can wonder in my head all day what it would be like to be with the girl who sits near me in the office, maybe even ponder if it would be possible. But the second I try to find her phone number in the office directory, it goes a step past wondering and toward active pursuit.

Thoughts are one thing, and often they are uncontrollable. But I can control whether or not I peruse the fembots on Ashley Madison.

Also, let me make it clear I'm not trying to come off as a saint. I'm as guilty of the wandering eyes and wondering thoughts as just about every guy. But I do think there is a difference between that and logging on to Ashley Madison.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yep, it absolutely is.

I have no tolerance for anything like this.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don't know what he was doing with the account, but I can tell you for a fact she was not amused.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I can see signing up for it out of some sort of journalistic curiosity, like, "OK, I've seen the billboards. I've heard the hype. Is this for real?"

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at and what I was referring to.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I can see that, too, but I wouldn't expect my wife or girlfriend to believe/understand it, so I'd avoid signing up. Discretion being the better part of valor and all that.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

In that case, I'd fully expect to be told about it well in advance and physically be in the room when it happens. I'd probably insist on having the log-in information as well.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Pete Townshend defense.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

You don't think a wife or girlfriend would buy the "But honey, I'm a journalist" excuse?

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not sure I'd get past "But ..."

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Gotta work better than the truth...

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My wife would be all like, "just because you post on that dumb message board, doesn't make you a journalist. Did you miss all the times riptide and Jay Farrar pointed this out to you?"

TyWebb likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted