1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did you eat paint chips as a kid?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, May 6, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This is from the paper I used to work for. Guy used MySpace to have sex with a 14-year-old girl.

No teacher involved, though, so I didn't steal Poin's beat. :D

A Frankfort man has pleaded guilty to rape, sodomy and use of a computer to procure a minor for sex.

Gary Smith, 23, 5134 Georgetown Road #11, appeared in court Friday wearing an orange jumpsuit with his head hung, to plead guilty.

Smith met and had sex with a 14-year-old Frankfort girl he met on Myspace.com, a social networking Web site, police reports say.

"Are you ready to enter your plea?" Franklin Circuit Court Judge Thomas Wingate asked.

"Sure," Smith said.

"'Sure' or "yes, sir?" Wingate said.

"Yes, sir."

Smith, in the Franklin County Regional Jail since November, will be sentenced July 11. He could be sentenced to 20 years, but may get only five, Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Dana Todd said.

As part of the deal, the victim can file an impact statement and Smith must register as a sex offender.

For prosecutors not to object to probation, Smith must cooperate with a psychological evaluation, be determined to be a low-risk offender and amenable to treatment, have no juvenile contact and make a statement admitting the offenses, Todd said in court.

Smith testified Friday he met the girl for sex, including oral. He also testified, when asked if he had suffered any mental diseases, that he had eaten lead paint chips as a child.

Kentucky State Police and the Franklin County Sheriff's Department served Smith a warrant Oct. 6 after the girl's mother called, police reports said.

"Her mom had her MySpace password and was doing everything right," Todd told The State Journal. "I commend her for invading her daughter's privacy in order to protect her."

Police confiscated Smith's and the victim's computer to investigate online conversations and instant message chats between the two, police reports said. Smith confessed Oct. 6, according to police.

"They did a fine job investigating and documenting this case," Todd said.
    MySpace, boasts more than 100 million users and is turning up in more cases like Smith's, Todd told The State Journal.

"Kids are so vulnerable. Parents need to be taught about protecting their children. Her mom had her password and was doing everything right. But the responsibility in this case rests with the defendant."

"This is a really good opportunity for parents to be nosy," Todd said. "I suspect they would be shocked."

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

If the guy was 40-something he might be onto something.

But 23? Hadn't lead-based paints pretty much been red-flagged or eliminated by the late 80s?

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The Pica Balloon (and his friend the Rubella Umbrella) scared me off as a kid.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's Kentucky. They sell lead paint chips by the bag at Piggly Wiggly. The nacho cheese are pretty good, by the way.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It wasn't being sold then, but there were plenty of surfaces that still were coated with it.

6. joe

joe Active Member

Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You might remember me from educational films such as "Lead Paint: Delicious But Deadly."

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

as a kid no, that would be crazy.....I had some for lunch though,.......... cool ranch.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Did they steal that bit from Super Troopers?

Thorny: Are you okay?
    College Boy 2: Yeah, sure.
    Thorny: Yes sir?
    College Boy 2: Yes sir.
    Thorny: No, did you say "yes sir."?
    Rabbit: I think he said "yeah, sure."
    College Boy 1: What'd you say man?
    College Boy 2: When I said, "yeah, sure", but what... literally what I said was "yeah, sure, sir."
    Thorny: So you are okay then?
    College Boy 2: Yes sir.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It's by the bushel.

And nacho cheese is crap. Cool Ranch is where it's at.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

A cop did that to one of my friends in college.... It was great. Well, not for my friend at least, he almost cried.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

They stopped using lead paint, but there were many buildings that still had lead paint on them, and in fact still are.

Draft saved Draft deleted