1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Willie Mays Snub Josh Hamilton?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

You spend much time around folks north of 75?

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I hate it when women objectify men.

;)

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It is getting a little thick.

Myself, I would want a bare bedrock minimum of 5 years of absolute demonstrable sobriety and abstinence from drugs before I would write or allow to run any triumphant "turned-his-life-around, whole-new-attitude, clean-and-sober," puff pieces about anybody like Hamilton.

Hopefully Hamilton is clean. Hopefully he will stay clean. But far too, too, too many times, these stories blow up when Mr. Reformed Athlete ends up in the rehab facility or the county prison.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

No, that's true I would bet they might not know

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

With his iron glove, I wouldn't be surprised if Pete Stanicek snubbed Dan Uggla.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I would go so far as to say that not only does Mays not know Hamilton's history, he doesn't even know who Hamilton is ... even today.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agreed.

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

Changing the subject, did anyone else notice Mays was wearing a cap with a G on it, not SF?
    I wish Willie had worn an old NY Giants cap since the Polo Grounds was across the river from Yankee Stadium.
    But the G was probably a compromise choice.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Based on some of these post I don't think that Willie even knew that he was wearing a hat.

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Quick story that might illustrate just where Willie's head may be...

Back in 2002 during the World Series, a Spanish-language TV show was set to do an interview with Mays. The reporter explained to Willie that he'd ask the question in Spanish, for TV, then translate it into English for Mays to answer. Willie nods and says OK.

So the guy starts asking him a question in Spanish and Willie puts his hands up to stop the guy because he doesn't understand. The guy reminds him of the arrangement and starts over. Again, Willie throws up his hands.

I believe they went through this routine three or four times before he figured it out.

And that was six years ago.

I cover the Giants and Willie is around periodically. He's usually pleasant enough. If you need to talk to him, sometimes he won't and sometimes he will, and sometimes when he does he's a little out of it.

The guy's old. Hopefully all of us will be lucky enough to see that side of 75.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yeah, the guy is old. But he's had the same attitude for 30 years.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

40+ years.

Draft saved Draft deleted