1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Willie Mays Snub Josh Hamilton?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mentioned on All Star thread but felt question deserved its own thread. I was at game and from my seat it looked like Willie completely turned away from Hamilton when he was introduced. I've spoken with people who watched game on tv and they also saw the same thing.

One of coolest things about the intros was the good will that most of HOFers were showing towards the current players. If Willie did snub Hamilton that really sucks.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Willie is too old to intentionally snub anybody.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I agree. He came off as a really old man who was detached from everything around him.

He looked the same way during the all star parade on 6th Avenue earlier that afternoon.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The SI story on Mays last week made it sound like he loves hanging around the younger players. If he's a bit prickly sometimes, it's usually not directed at players. I doubt he snubbed.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The video ...

http://majorleaguejerk.com/2008/07/16/did-willie-mays-snub-josh-hamilton/

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

hamilton probably didn't pay Mays an appearance fee...

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Willie's not paying attention.

Hell, looks like he's probably trying to converse with Fukudome in Pashtun.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Maybe Mays doesn't like guys who make unsubstantiated claims about how "god" intervened in their drug addiction.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wait till Big Dog and BYH see this video and realize that they can clearly see their beloved Phyllis Merhig as Hamilton comes out of dugout.

Still looks like a snub to me.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

It looked, to me, like he was talking to Fukudome. Then I realized that's probably not possible.

11. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

Do you require a note from God confirming that he helped?

12. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Willie is also mostly deaf and damn near legally blind. So conversing with Fukadome was a little more difficult than normal and I think if Hamilton would have gotten his attention he would have turned around and saw him there.

But continue with the speculation because I'm sure it beats any potentially significant stories in the sports world.

Draft saved Draft deleted