1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DID WILBON GET DUPED BY JOHN THOMPSON?????

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ned racine, Aug 16, 2007.

1. I was wondering if there was anyone who would disagree on Wilbon's fellatio of the Thompson family.

I should have known.

2. Mmac

Mmac Guest

He does have reason to lie given that he's been trying to extort a payoff under this "racially hostile environment" legal theory for months. From info I've learned, Thompson began telegraphing his intentions by sending lawyer-talk emails written in the "hostile environment" legalese long before this mess became public and before the alleged racist note appeared.

And, btw, the Zaleski piece pretty much documents that he has been lying. I know folks at BSU are amazed at the sheer absurdity of the lack of equipment and other claims made in the Wilbon piece; some of which are so easily disprovable it's stunning Wilbon would be part of it.

From what I've gathered, to the extent there was a hostile environment, Thompson himself created it. After he took over, the remaining non-black players left (reportedly with encouragement), Thompson abruptly fired secretaries and others without reason, he told players not to speak to or trust white people, he generally treated those around him like shit, and after he started losing retreated into a shell and isolated himself. He basically tried to create a closed us v. them atmosphere of paranoia where none had existed before he showed up (kinda similar to what his dad did in the 80s but with completely opposite success). Yet he now claims that it was BSU that created a hostile environment, nevermind that there's no history of any similar racial accusations there before Thompson arrived.

To me, this smells like a highbrow extortion scheme, but with unusually well-connected extortionists who managed to get help from Wilbon & the Washington Post.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Sportsbruh: Jason Whitlock might be many things, but one thing he is not is a sell out.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There's clearly a lot of distress, here. Wilbon's broad body of work protects him from the hurricane, but I'll bet he'd like to have this one back. The slant and tone of any followup column will be key.

6. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

There's bad days and then there's flat-out going on a mental walkabout. Wow. From a journalistic perspective, that was a gutless effort. Wilbon just dipped a toe into the Jay Mariotti waters of doing the least one can do and not facing those you ravage. This was worse. This was not picking up a phone or even shooting an e-mail to offer any semblance of balance.
    Wilbon should be sentenced to sharing a night in the penalty box with Mariotti. Once you aquire a reputation for pulling stuff like this, it can be impossible to shake. Like aquiring skunk scent.

7. silentbob

silentbob Member

Zaleski does the same thing Wilbon does, he just takes the opposite side.

If you're gonna call BS to the misdeeds the head basketball coach alleges, you HAVE to have an athletic official saying as much. Writing "does this make sense to rational-thinking people" doesn't cut it.
    These are serious allegations and he just kind of brushes them off. I mean come on, at least Wilbon got the coach on record. Who did Zaleski get?

Draft saved Draft deleted