1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DID WILBON GET DUPED BY JOHN THOMPSON?????

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ned racine, Aug 16, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It was sad to see Wilbon mail that column in, but I guess we all have our bad days. Whitlock nailed Wilbon more than any of us could.

2. IU90

IU90 Member

May be worse than mailing one in. It sounds suspiciously like Wilbon allowed Thompson and his lawyer to use him as a puppet mouthing the story they wanted him to tell without making the slightest effort to verify. How can someone in Wilbon's position run an attack piece with allegations instantly dubious to anyone with common sense (no basketballs?) and not make at least a few phone calls to check it out and give Ball State a chance to respond?

That's not just a subpar effort, that's inexcusable and borderline unethical journalism. And by one of the most respected names in the business.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Posnanski is a good example of someone who puts his column and his paper first.

I'm not so much "blasting multimedia inclinations" as I am the practice of cutting corners on one employer because you're fortunate enough to have two or three.

4. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Wilbon, Thompson = PWN3D

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Thompson = PWN3D x Wilbon

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This is a real shame, as I'm a huge MW fan, as a talent and a man.

But he kid-gloved MJ every step, and now he does a DLB for the klutz in question.

Sheesh.

7. heyabbott

Ben, as a denizen of the DC area, you know MW has chosen a few sides of the same bed as some of those he covers. Many, he covers straight up, but he has his bedmates, and he has been in the sack with the Thompsons for years. He has the story of how and why Thompson quit and has never told that one. He knew about Jordan's dalliances with certain chubby blond chicks may before the expose in the Post magazine and he knows much more about Jordan's gambling hobby then he has ever let on. He's been pretty darn fair in his comments on the Redskins and has been fairly critical of Dan Snyder. It's very possible to be overly critical of Abe Pollin, Mike has approached that line. Pollin may not be a great owner, but it's not for lack of trying. He built a downtown arena in DC that has almost single handedly revived an entire inner city area. He tries, he cares and doesn't have the deepest pockets among owners. If Bob ohnson did what Pollin did, Wilbon would petitioning the Vatican for Johnson's Sainthood.
    He's always sucked up to the Hoyas and Thompson and has never been that warm towards the Terps even though he has covered both.

He has his favorites and his columns do reflect his predilections.

8. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

A scene from "Almost Famous" would seem to apply here:

Lester Bangs: Aw, man. You made friends with them. See, friendship is the booze they feed you. They want you to get drunk on feeling like you belong.
    William Miller: Well, it was fun.
    Lester Bangs: They make you feel cool. And hey. I met you. You are not cool.
    William Miller: I know. Even when I thought I was, I knew I wasn't.
    Lester Bangs: That's because we're uncool. And while women will always be a problem for us, most of the great art in the world is about that very same problem. Good-looking people don't have any spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter.
    William Miller: I can really see that now.
    Lester Bangs: Yeah, great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love... and let's face it, you got a big head start.
    William Miller: I'm glad you were home.
    Lester Bangs: I'm always home. I'm uncool.
    William Miller: Me too!
    Lester Bangs: The only true currency in this bankrupt world if what we share with someone else when we're uncool.
    William Miller: I feel better.
    Lester Bangs: My advice to you. I know you think those guys are your friends. You wanna be a true friend to them? Be honest, and unmerciful.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

However, this shows you that sometimes even the best of the best can fuck up royally.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder, Monroe!

11. heyabbott

We all have our price, is the test of a man what happens when someone pays the price? I don't think so. The test is, can you set the price so high, that when it's met, you don't regret the choice?

If he sold himself to Bristol, is he the devil for getting so much or so little of his soul, or is Bristol the devil for buying a righteous soul?

12. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

I believe Wilbon and Thompson.

Thompson don't have a reason to lie. People get STRAIGHT DEFENSIVE whenever RACE comes into play.......as if it doesn't exist anymore.

Whitlock will sell his soul to anybody that'll toss him a cheeseburger. Disgusting.

Draft saved Draft deleted