1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did U.S. Have to Drop Atomic Bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 6, 2015.

1. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

I don't think they could have been thrown or propelled. They had to be dropped.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Roosevelt deferred to his military top brass on almost all decisions such as this one. If the same committee Truman used had recommended dropping the bomb, he would have done so.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I've always figured Roosevelt would not spent millions of dollars on the project and then hesitated to utilize the end result.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Somewhat related - there was also discussion at letting Japan know in advance what city was going to be hit. Jimmy Byrnes squelched that idea in a hurry when he mentioned the Japanese would move American POW there.

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Didn't the US drop leaflets before the bombings warning of what would happen and asking Japanese people to push the Emperor to surrender? Makes me doubt a film would have swayed the brass.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And unfortunately, some POWs were killed anyways, both from the bombings, and from the Japanese reaction to the bombings.

Draft saved Draft deleted