1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did this man go too far with kids vandalizing relative's home?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They lost the <i>right</i> to complain? No, they have that right. That's a right you don't lose, thankfully.

They're going to lose on their complaint, though. So I'm not sure what the hand-wringing is about.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No. In theory they have the right. In reality they do not. When you're allowing 8-year olds to be outside at 9 p.m. vandalizing homes and riding ATVs around, you lose any right to bitch about the consequences. May I add that homeowners have the right to shoot intruders? They could have four dead kids and the blood would be on the parents' hands.

3. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

At some point you have to trust your kids to have proper judgment. Don't blame the parents, blame the perps.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

They're 8, you dullard. Ever heard of the age of criminal responsibility? It might come in handy for you, having not actually reached it yet.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Shitheels though they may be, it's nice and classy to wish violent death on a second grader. Might as well say they deserve to die in a school shooting.

Don't blame the parents? How do you think the kids got to be 8 years old and of a mindset that this was OK?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The shitheel parents should be a bit nervous over these comments by the DA:

I think the homeowner is going to walk but I hope the DA throws the book at the parents.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought you were for real. I guess not.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Kids do stupid things. And all it takes is one jerk of a kid to drag a whole bunch of others with him.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, in reality the parents have the right to complain, because they haven't been thrown in jail for complaining about it.

As far as the "shooting intruders," my understanding was the man went to his father-in-law's house next door. So unless George Zimmerman didn't get charged with murder for shooting a kid he thought to be a general menace, I'm fairly confident that, yeah, he couldn't have gone into someone else's empty house and shot people. Plus, of course, the kids wouldn't have sprayed graffiti in an occupied home.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I hope your child is able to overcome you and succeed in life.

11. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

The article didn't say what time of night this happened. It just said it was at night and the person who discovered the kids was watching TV. So this could have been at only 8 or 9 at night.

Are parents supposed to lock their kids in the house at 5 o'clock?

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

An 8-year-old? Parents should, at the minimum, know where their 8-year-olds are, be it 5 p.m. or 2 a.m.

And bedtime at 8 p.m. is pretty normal for an 8-year-old.

Draft saved Draft deleted