1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did this man go too far with kids vandalizing relative's home?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 18, 2013.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/man-arrested-for-protecting-home-from-vandals.html

I'm sure the debate on this will be lively:

1. Man hears noises in father-in-law's vacant house next door.

2. Finds four kids 8-10 years old, who have taken hammers to walls, etc. and done $50,000 worth of damage.

3. Guy grabs one of the hammers and threatens the kids unless they go into a closet and wait for the cops.

4. Now he may be charged with endangerment of a child after parents complain he went too far.

My initial reaction: The parents lost any right to complain when they apparently have no clue their kids are out of the house late at night vandalizing homes (more than this one, according to the cops).

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1. The guy should deny, deny, deny. Deny everything. The brats made it all up. Testimony of an adult vs. vandal kids with incentive to lie who have coordinated/been coached on their stories by their parents.

2. The parents need to be prosecuted on every fucking charge anybody can think of.

3. Whatever the prosecutors won't charge the parents with, the guy should file civil suits. Sue until their asses bleed.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think a jury would convict him if he had actually hit the kids with the hammer.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Your kids do $50,000 in damage to private property and THIS is what you're concerned with?

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's what their parents are concerned with, which is why they're pressing charges against the homeowner. That also explains a lot.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sounds like this is all part of the gay agenda. The real reason he is facing jail time is because he closeted a group of youths.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe they're hoping he would be intimidated enough to let the damages go in exchange for not getting charged.

If that were the case, the guy should be claiming twice as much in damages.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That's what I meant. My ass woulda' been blistered with that hammer if I had done that as a child.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Some more details:

http://www.waynetimes.com/news/clyde-man-arrested-after-corralling-vandals-in-a-closet-until-police-arrived

This is the paper that broke the story. The damage estimates are $40,000-50,000 but apparently, according to New York state law, parents are liable for only up to $1,500 per for acts of vandalism. That means the homeowner might only get $6,000 max.

BTW: The Wayne County Times allowed the words shit and c--t in the paper (the words the kids wrote on the walls). Wow. Does the C-word make any publication short of Hustler?

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The parents say he should have sent the kids home and called the police.

Right. And from there these loser parents would have denied their kid was out of the house at that time.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This story brings back a few memories ...

I was a sophomore in h.s. and, unbeknownst to me, some acquaintances had gotten in the habit of egging this one guy's house the same night of the week (let's say Tuesday). One Tuesday I was out with them and of course I joined right in (again, not knowing they'd already been doing this several weeks in a row). 'Bout 2 a.m. the next morning my father woke me up.

"Son, did y'all do anything tonight?"
    "No, no ... we didn't do anything."
    "Then why are the police at the front door wanting to talk to you?"

That was a fun week, let me tell you.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

It sounds like Spencer, Skyler, Chase and Dylan, and their enabling fathers, need to spend the rest of the summer working 12 hours a day in that house, getting it back to the exact condition it was in before the little botched abortions even set foot on the lawn.

Draft saved Draft deleted