1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did THey Really Just Say That on ESPN?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Just_An_SID, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Full Tilt Poker on ESPN tonight.

Cindy Margolis gets a pair of Jacks. The one commenatator says Cindy has a nice pair to which Phil Gordon replies, a real nice pair.

Moments later, she draws a J on the flop.

Commentator says, Cindy now has a set, to which Gordon says, "A nice set."

A few giggles are also included.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That's not nearly as disconcerting as when, just about every day, some football analyst says a quarterback "has a guy coming right in his face."

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sounds like Gordon will fit right in with Sean Salisbury and Mike Tirico.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Charles Barkley once told viewers they had "two *holds up two fingers*, count 'em, two good reasons to watch (insert Demi Moore movie here)."

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

You're watching celebrity poker on ESPN while the Colts and Patriots are doing battle? Now that's a bad beat.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

The only people that can say whatever they want on ESPN are Wilbon and Kornheiser. You know why? Because they rule the world.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Are you saying she doesn't have a nice pair or nice set?

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'm still put off by announcers saying 'so-and-so is coming to the bench for a blow.'

However, if someone said that in reference to Eugene Robinson in the Atl-Denver Super Bowl, I'd by him/her a bottle of their favorite liquor.

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I meant to start a thread about this, and maybe my ears did deceive me. But during the Kansas-Texas Tech game this weekend, I thought I heard the commentator say -- as Tech was in the process of blowing a lead -- that the Red Raiders were "like Buddy Holly in an ice storm."

Maybe I heard it wrong. Tell me I did.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I heard it, too.

11. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

I think Full Tilt was on Fox Sports Net - at least it was at the sports bar where I was watching the Colts game. Margolis was playing, and she did have a nice set.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fran Fraschilla at his unfortunate best. We all heard it in the office.

Draft saved Draft deleted