1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did the CIA send Iran a 21st Century Trojan Horse?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 6, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

A super-duper-secret CIA drone somehow has ended up in the hands of Iran's security forces...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-1206-drone-iran-20111206,0,928838.story

Keeping in mind that the CIA a couple of years ago unleashed a worldwide computer worm, which was allegedly designed to infiltrate Iran's nuclear centrifuges (and the mission apparently succeeded), what are the odds that the CIA somehow allowed Iran to get a hold of the drone, with the expectation that Iran would take the drone to its top secret research lab in order to investigate it...thus allowing the CIA's satellites to track the drone right to the lab?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hmm. Before Stuxnet and the recent explosion at the Iranian military facility, I wouldn't give your potential theory any credence.

Now? Maybe.

But, unless we also built some flaws into the drone itself, it would be a big risk to allow it to fall into Iran's hands, knowing they could share it with Russia.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm actually surprised they couldn't remotely detonate it in case just such an event occurred. Seems like that would be SOP on any aircraft with classified technology aboard (just like how the SEALS blasted that helicopter in the Bin Laden raid).

4. TigerVols

According to a report I saw, they are able to wipe the machine's computers clean before it crashes.

5. TigerVols

I haven't taken my tin foil hat off yet...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20111206/us-us-iran-drone/

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Coupla things...

First, the last info I saw, stuxnet was pretty much confirmed to be an Israeli op. Second, you guys still think the main concern is Russia getting their hands on the drone?

Update: It's 2011, not 1987, folks. Mmmm... how about... China?

7. TigerVols

Yeah, I'm sure the CIA has nothing whatsoever to do with Israeli spy ops.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Are we sure Iran's security forces don't read SportsJournalists.com? Take this to PMs until that's confirmed, plz.

9. TigerVols

Nope. They only read SportsJournalists.xxx

10. Clambake Clem

Clambake Clem Member

good stuff

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

No redactions!

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

New York Times: