1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did steroids really change baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Has there ever been any hard evidence on Sosa, other than the circumstantial evidence that makes everyone 100 percent sure he was juiced to the gills?

Just wondering because he always gets grouped with McGwire, Bonds, Clemens, and A-Rod on the Hall of Shame list, and not on the Griffey, Thomas, Thome list of guys who presumably did not.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Seriously?

3. Dick Whitman

I'm not saying it's unfair to say he juiced.

I'm just wondering if there was a concrete connection to steroids and Sosa that I don't remember.

Everyone else who is presumed to have juiced was eventually connected via a dirty test, grand jury testimony, etc., etc.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sosa 1993-1997 = 170 HRs, 34 per year, career high of 40
    Sosa 1998-2002 = 292 HRs, 58+ per year, LOW of 49

That's proof enough for me.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There were just the reports, confirmed by the New York Times and SI, that Sosa was one of the players who failed the 2003 drug test. The source was an anonymous lawyer with knowledge of the drug-testing results.

Sosa's official response was, "no comment."

6. Dick Whitman

Again.

I am 150 percent sure that Sammy Sosa juiced.

I am asking if there was ever any hard connection established between Sosa and PEDs. Out of curiosity.

I am not passive-aggressively trying to suggest that he did not use steroids. He did. Unquestionably. And a lot of them.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

not, no English?

8. Dick Whitman

Thanks. Now I remember that story. I thought there was something like that, but couldn't recall what it was.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I still say that in hindsight, Sosa was the smartest out of everyone. 1) When he met with the Congressmen in private, he parsed his statements to say that he never used any "illegal" drugs. Given that steroids are legal in the DR, he wasn't perjuring himself, if he got nailed later. 2) He speaks perfect English, but that day, he didn't understand a word. Rather than deal with the lengthly translator / answer, the Congressmen who just wanted to grandstand ignored him and made the other players the focus. Sosa skated out of that mess remarkably well compared to the others. In hindsight, he was a genius.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I wish some of you on this board had been at the wedding feast when Jesus turned the water into wine. I'd like to hear you spin your way out of that.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Or idiot savant.

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

So I guess he just used steroids that one year. After that he said: "Wow, these steroids sure made me a lot better. I'd better stop using them, before anyone gets suspicious."

Same with Bonds, who went from 49-73-46-45-45. (Don't tell me about walks. AB/HR: 9.8/6.5/8.8/8.7/8.3)

And Roger Maris, who went from 16 to 39 to 61 to 33, 23, 26.

Don't read anything into my comments beyond this sentence:

Draft saved Draft deleted