1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did something happen at the Tampa Tribune?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NancyLou, Dec 5, 2013.

1. NancyLou

NancyLou Member

I just saw three postings put up at JJ.com today of three reporter slots. I sat there and stared, thinking, "Um... Do I apply for one of these?"

All of you are so in the loop here (and I'm in awe, really) I thought I'd check here to see if anyone heard anything?

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Heck, go for it! Worst that could happen is they say no. I also wonder if there will be one sports position eventually...

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Nothing ever happens at The Tampa Tribune.

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

There has been some movement at the Tribune in the last few months. People have moved on to other places, and there was a handful of layoffs about a month ago -- a copy desk leader, a community reporter or two, and some part-time newsroom clerks. Surprised to see they're advertising for reporters ... especially since today's front page obviates a need for some help on the desk. (Glad to see FSU quarterback Jameis Winston was cleared in the death of Nelson Mandela. :) )

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=FL_TT&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=1

5. NancyLou

NancyLou Member

It's happenings such as this that have me wanting to work for a smaller newspaper in a smaller market. It just seems too "Johnny come lately" and capricious at the larger market newspapers. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Could it be they got rid of their higher pay reporters in favor of younger, need-less-money fresh grads?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's horrific page design.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Yep. Do they always try to have what looks like a black flag on the cover there?

8. NancyLou

NancyLou Member

I get what you mean about their needing help over there, made more obvious with your aside of the QB being cleared in the death of Nelson Mandela. Aren't there layers of editors at a newspaper to catch stuff like that?

9. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

In fairness, that's not a typical layout for them. I've never seen them do anything like that before. Not sure why they tried it today of all days, and am certainly puzzled whether anyone was thinking about the final result. My guess is that they're just so short-staffed, no one saw the forest for the trees.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

There was a spadea (partial ad) wrapped around the front page and the idea was so folks could see the Mandela news in the racks. Not sure it was a wise choice, but that's the reason for it.
    And hack has it right. A couple of reporters and editors have moved on recently, so they apparently will replace a couple of those.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The Tallahassee police made sure of that.

12. NancyLou

NancyLou Member

We'll see more about Winston in the future. Leopards not changing their spots and all that.

Draft saved Draft deleted