1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did slain Chicago-area cop actually commit suicide?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A few days ago, a popular suburban Chicago officer, Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz, was shot to death after radioing in that he was pursuing three men, two white and one black. His death, like most police deaths, has caused an outpouring of grief from his community and the police community at large.

However, things seem to be getting a little weird. No suspects have been found, and the case seems to have gone cold. (There has, reportedly, been some DNA recovered from the scene that does not belong to Gliniewicz, but, like seemingly everything else related to this case, details are hard to come by.)

Then there's this, from this weekend's Chicago Tribune:

Investigators face hurdles, sift evidence in Fox Lake officer's death

Investigators "are proceeding as if it were a homicide," Filenko said during a news conference Tuesday. But he added later, "We haven't ruled out anything. We are exploring every piece of information we have."

The next day, however, Lake County Coroner Thomas Rudd said that he could not make a determination on the manner of the officer's death — whether homicide, suicide, accidental or undetermined — until he receives further information from law enforcement officials.

Police officials investigating the case have similarly said that they are awaiting information from the coroner's office. They also publicly chastised Rudd for sharing details about the case, such as that Gliniewicz was killed by a single "devastating" gunshot wound to his torso.

The coroner would not say if the officer sustained other wounds.

Later in the story, it's noted that law enforcement types are angry at the corner for some of the information he's released about the case.

It's starting to make me wonder - and it seems to be making the local press start to wonder, as well.

If there are three cop killers on the lam right now locally, I'd sure like to know it. But if there's evidence that something else happened here, and it's clear from the evidence, then I think we have a right to know that, too.

Strange case.
  2. Dick Whitman

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I have to admit I wondered if there was more to the story after the case went cold so quickly. Manhunts usually don't work that way.
  4. Dick Whitman

Not only that, but it seemed that within a day of the shooting, people were being urged pretty conclusively that there was no danger in weekending in Fox Lake.
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I've been leaning this way the last couple of days as well, and nearly posted something.

No leads. The coroner can't rule out suicide.

And, what to make of this:

Former Chicago police Officer Joseph Battaglia, of southwest suburban Oak Lawn, was charged Sunday with two counts of disorderly conduct after threats were made to harm two key officials investigating the death of Fox Lake police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz, officials said.

The 54-year-old Battaglia, who is being held in the Lake County Jail after being assigned a $100,000 bond, is accused of calling Lake County Coroner Thomas Rudd's office Friday and threatening Rudd and George Filenko, who heads the Lake County Major Crime Task Force, officials said.

Battaglia described himself as a retired police officer. He was denied a public defender because of his police pension, the judge said.

Battaglia allegedly threatened to harm Rudd and Filenko unless they declare Gliniewicz's death a suicide.

According to a news release Sunday morning from the Lake County sheriff's office, someone called the coroner's office at 2 p.m. Friday, blocking the phone number so caller identification would not work. The caller said he was a "retired police officer" and made threats against "all of the Task Force members" and others investigating the Gliniewicz death unless that death was declared a suicide.

Ex-cop charged with threatening officials in Fox Lake officer shooting case
  6. Dick Whitman

SmallPotatoes is not going to like this thread.
  7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that one the bullets hit the body on a downward trajectory. There are ways that could be explained, but it's also something that might raise a red flag or two.
  8. Dick Whitman

Staged to ensure his life insurance policy is collected upon, perhaps?

It seems like it would be really easy to tell if the shot came from his gun.
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This one is weird. I wonder why an ex-cop would be so bent on having this publicly declared a suicide, unless he had something to gain. Maybe working as an investigator for an insurance company or something.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's half the reason why I didn't post something. I'd hate to jump to such a conclusion, but I'm not sure what else to think.

By now, the investigators have to know what happened. If he was shot by his own gun, by a single gunshot wound, and he has residue on his hand, then he killed himself.

We know it was a "“single devastating gunshot wound” that killed him. Was it from his own gun?

I'm starting to think that folks want to protect the guys reputation.

“This whole thing is getting a little sticky as far as the cause and manner of death,” the coroner said.

'Single Devastating Gunshot Wound' Killed Fox Lake Police Lieutenant: Coroner
  11. Dick Whitman

I was thinking maybe some of his old cop buddies are sick of having to cover for the investigators at this point.
    YankeeFan likes this.
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's close to a 100-percent lock that cop-killer trails NEVER go cold unless some kind of cover-up is already in effect.
Draft saved Draft deleted