1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Richard Sherman's Antics Disgust You??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Jan 20, 2014.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You act as if Sherman needs an excuse.

He said the choker gesture was fore Kaepernick during the post-game interviews.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sherman wrote a piece for MMQB today.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/20/richard-sherman-interview-michael-crabtree/

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Great column. It's better than anything that Bayless and S.A. Smith have written in a decade.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

To the original question, no, his antics didn't disgust me. I thought it was hilarious. Hated it for Andrews.

Sherman's emotion, passion and intensity shouldn't have been unexpected. The guy has an open, running feud with Crabtree, just ended the game to go to SB LVEIZZSX or whatever and had a live microphone shoved in his face. He wasn't going to be Emily Post.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Crotchety (but for the most times humorous) 65-year-old reporter at The Trentonian would always walk around the newsroom calling people anal implosions. When he wasn't doing that he'd blurt out SYPHILIS! Strange bird.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Like that doesn't try to gloss his issues with Crabtree, instead bluntly states "I just don't like him."

I kinda like Sherman for the very moments that make others dislike him (similar to why I started liking Jay Cutler). The dude is no phony, he is honest about who he is, he doesn't kiss ass, and he doesn't try to curb his act to please the public and try to make himself appear more "likeable." He acts as who he actually is and makes no apologies for it.

And the dude is smart, btw. I'd be convinced of that based on some of the interviews I've seen even if he didn't also have the Stanford degree and HS salutatorian notches on the resume.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Loved every cringe-inducing second of it. Any writer or broadcaster who criticizes it should be sentenced to "We're-just-playing-it-one-game-at-a-time" answers for the rest of his or her career.

And I'm still trying to figure out what part of Sherman's statement was factually incorrect.

That said, I'm going to love rooting against him and I hope Peyton lights him up for 450 in two weeks.

Answers like Sherman's are why we ask the goddamn questions in the first place. I wish more athletes were that blunt and candid. It'd make for much, much better reading and listening.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Honestly, Sherman was kind of mild.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/short-track-speed-skater-sjinkie-knegt-disqualified-for-obscene-gesture-towards-russias-viktor-ahn-9072582.html

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Totally agree. The only thing I'll add is I thought Andrews handled it well. Pretty obvious to me producers were scared of what more Sherman might say and were in her ear to throw it back to Buck.

10. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

The biggest result of that Sherman interview is that everyone was/is talking about him and what he screamed rather than talk about the game. He did a cardinal sin: He made himself the story, instead of his team's great win. Of course, it he were in the NBA, that's what Stern would want: Individual > Team

And the Broncos picked up a whole lot more supporters for the Super Bowl.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I loved it.

Sherman was raw and honest. We beg and beg for something interesting when interviewing an athlete and then complain when they offer something provocative.

Covering the Vikings during the Randy Moss era, he didn't talk very often but, when he did after games, it was usually quite poignant, honest, thoughtful and sometimes provocative. I actually learned more about receiver play from Moss than anyone else I've dealt with.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Now, see, that is much better and makes me hate him much less.
    Why couldn't he have been that thoughtful after the game?
    And don't give me the adrenaline crap. He had his play, the Seahawks made the pick and there were still a couple minutes before the post-game interview. He knew he was going to be interviewed. He should have been professional.
    To me, Sherman was being asked to be the face of the franchise in that moment and he failed miserably. He should be ashamed of his antics in such an important moment. But, yes, he is quite intelligent and, clearly, a great defender.
    Still. He can go F himself. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted