1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did NBC snub gay diver?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I don't agree with everything partain has written, or how they have written it, but his major point is that he was glad the coverage was about the athletic event. That part I agree with. NBC covered what the athlete did. Had NBC not covered the event because the guy is gay, then it should have apologized.

I didn't care for it, but I understood why the swimming love triangle was covered. It added a unique angle to an event in which two of the three individuals involved were directly competing against each other.

The fact that the diver is gay, in my mind, is not much of a story. The story was that he is a great diver, and that aspect was covered.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

God.

3. The inane phrase "lifestyle choice" deserves jeering whenever and wherever it rears its lame head.

The orientation occurs in more than 1,500 species observed thus far in history. It's part of Mother Nature's scheme.

Then there's the implication that people choose their attractions, which means that heterosexual men (including the man using the phrase) overcame an attraction to other men in order to remain heterosexual. Now, I don't know about you, but when I'm seeing young, heterosexual men, I'm not seeing a whole lot of choosing going on. I'm seeing something that lights up well before any choice.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

What day did you choose you to be the height you are?
    What day did you choose to be heterosexual?

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

More like red apples and green apples.

As the old saying goes, you're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Great, now you'll draw Zag to this thread.

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

For cryin' out loud, who has the time or wherewithal to keep track of every little "slight" for every athlete in every Olympic sport in terms of showing loved ones, coaches, or whomever in the audience?

I"m sure there were plenty of "straight" medal winners whose parents, siblings, coach or freakin' Uncle Max got left out of the TV picture. Trust me, they'll survive this.

My family and I probably watched a total of 2-3 hours of diving althogether and never once did a crowd shot of this person or that person register with me. Unless it's Jessica Simpson watching Romo, who cares---I don't know them anyway and don't care to know this diver's partner or any other diver's S.O. or spouse. I was too busy watching the actual diving and trying to keep track of who was ranked where after each jump.

This PC obsession gets carried a bit too far much of the time, such as in here.

Get a life

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Partain = not a fan of the Kiss Cam at the ballpark.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Wow.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Did NBC go down the gold-medal line of women's hockey in 1998, 2002, or 2006 and say 'gay, not gay, not gay, gay, gay, gay, not gay'?

Or with softball?

And did anybody care?

From the Canadian side, sure ... some relationships were pointed out, because they were high-profile. As high-profile as it can get in Canadian women's hockey anyway.

But I'm pretty sure none of the openly gay girls on the team were offended that Cassie Campbell's and Hayley Wickenheiser's boyfriends were mentioned.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What if by some chance your son is gay?

12. lono

lono Active Member

You guys/gals are getting slow.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted